Fuck Today (Part 1)

That’s the worst: a disease that normally most people have the option of saying goodbye over time, but with a timeline more like a car accident or heart attack.

4 Likes

I’m in C right now but last night was actually in Houston. I tried to politely argue, and so did my sister who is a teacher and skilled at polite arguments, but they were overwhelmed. She is on her way to California because she did standby and snagged the seat of someone who was delayed somewhere else.

Definitely a story to tell though.

6 Likes

Some levees breached in and around St Louis and there is a lot of flooding and 3 people died. Man, Fuck today, seriously.

3 Likes

Oh jeez and that whole flood plain that was under water back in the 90s got overdeveloped after I left. I hope it wasn’t the same levees.

2 Likes

C concourse, as in United Airlines Terminal 1?

One of the best ways to get away from people at an airport is to find the chapel or meditation room (if available). O’Hare is huge and only has one chapel, no meditation room. The chapel is not well located for you: it’s at the mezzanine level of Terminal 2, above the US Airways ticket counters, and is only open from 8:00am-2.30pm Monday to Friday. I think that’s even on the wrong side of TSA security, so it’s a no-go.

If you’ve got time and are reasonably mobile, there’s a lot more food and other offerings in the B concourse, which is still on the correct side of TSA security. Concourse C is just an add-on so there’s a lot less there. However, that also means there are fewer people to deal with too.

4 Likes

Yeah united. I grabbed myself a corner which is kind of sheltered from view. At least until I have to pee. :smile:

5 Likes

In 50 years of programming etc., I think I have worked in just two shops where QA was done properly, that is, by entirely different people from the programming team, with test cases generated from the specifications without guilty knowledge of any of the programs. This in spite of the fact that a dollar spent on QA saves ten dollars, at least, in post-release maintenance, to say nothing of side effects of bad QA (or none) like being unable to take orders for a day. But try to convince higher management of that. Apparently it can’t be done.

4 Likes

This isn’t really a fuck today, today is pretty good, but before Christmas wasn’t.

My grandmother died 6 days before Christmas. She missed out on seeing her great granddaughter (my daughter) by less than a week. It was the night before my dad’s (her son) birthday. Instead of celebrating, he spent the day calling people to tell them the sad news.

15 Likes

Oh no. I’m sorry about your grandma. Condolences to you and your family.

6 Likes

That’s awful. I’m so sorry for your family’s loss.

4 Likes

There’s no other way to slice it, that just sucks. I’m sorry.

4 Likes

I’m so sorry. That’s terrible news.

1 Like

I’m not having a crap week, but this is worth remembering for next time (nothing groundbreaking, but sometimes short, simple and to the point is what you need):

8 Likes

Another day at work for [Retailer] when a little old lady comes up to the tech services desk where I was working and explains that she was swindled by scareware. Apparently she lost a serious chunk of change to these assholes and needed to know what to do. I told her that we could fix her computer for her, remove the malware, etc. but even though she changed all her credit card information she actually continued using the infected computer to pay bills and do other things with her new cards. I told her that while I couldn’t know the extent of the data breach, that she needed to change all that information again. I told her to see if the FTC had any advice for her and that I was really sorry. I felt so bad for her, and of course we charge a pretty penny for our tech services in addition to whatever she lost. I told her that she really needed to discontinue using the computer until it was fixed, but I think she didn’t really understand why because she wasn’t very technologically sophisticated.

She believed every word that I said and looked at me like I was going to make everything all right. It was not a great feeling- I could only limit the damage that was already done. The worst part is that these scammers really prey on this community in particular. It’s a college town, but the permanent residents lean towards the older end of the spectrum. While we still had a landline, we’d get calls all the time about our PC being infected. Most of the time I would just hang up. Other times I’d cry, “OH NO! Hold on a Sec!” and just leave them waiting until they hung up, just to waste their time. Fuck them.

13 Likes

It’s turtles all the way down. (I don’t know a damn person who can make the claim: “I know my computer wasn’t compromised.”)

5 Likes

Maybe we should start a best efforts, or Win Today thread. (Seriously, that’s all we get.)

1 Like

The companion thread is here.

3 Likes

There’s some great stuff in that thread.

2 Likes

The one zero day (so far, knock wood and totally my fault for ignoring google/chrome warning about infected site) that got my current machine I was so happy that the windows boot to previous known from 2 weeks prior worked. It booted clean and the virus scan said hey look at that you want that to get fixed. That sure saved me a lot of grumbling that day.

3 Likes

How about firmware and routers?

1 Like