Fuck Today (Part 1)

9 Likes

PFOAs are one of my huge soapbox issues.

Basic Information on PFAS | Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) | US EPA.

Important to note that these are not definitive studies, mice are not humans and human studies are lacking. It is (imho) sufficiently suggestive that we should be looking for alternatives, like cast iron instead of Teflon. Just more evidence of making our world uninhabitable for humans.

15 Likes
14 Likes

Update on this (and thank you for the ideas and support). It was pretty depressing to learn how few resources are available for housed adults without young children in the home. I understand their resources are stretched thin and they need to prioritize, that’s part of the depressing part.
Social services already had the neighbor on their roster and are trying to help with medications. Seems she’s been aggressive with them, so it’s kind of tricky deciding whether to send people over (or finding people who will go).
She still shouts a lot but seems to have lost interest in me personally.

ETA: oops, sorry, didn’t mean to reply to you personally, but the thanks are real.

9 Likes

Related to this, ironically:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/foam-forever-chemicals-plant-fire-78346568?cid=clicksource_4380645_6_heads_posts_headlines_hed

I was actually unaware that PFOA’s were used in fire fighting foams as well. Great, exposure in vast quantities. “But we cleaned it up!” somehow just does not seem to be realistic.

Foams containing PFAS typically are used to extinguish highly flammable or combustible fires involving gas tankers and oil refineries, EPA said in a statement. Wilson said he ordered the company to switch to another type of foam that didn’t have PFAS after regulators informed him that PFAS-containing foam was being used.

12 Likes

You’ll not wanna look up anything about Camp Lejeune then.

4 Likes
8 Likes

Hopefully for search and rescue???
:pleading_face:

9 Likes

You’ve got more faith in humanity than me. But, I do hope you’re right.

9 Likes

Search and rescue is what the article says. And you know, if they absolutely have to develop nightmare robots that sense fear like in some horror movie, at least these are ones the resistance can trip up with music players, trained birds, and goats.

9 Likes

Toxoplasmosis never looked so good… :wink:

4 Likes

This has got me seeing red. The supreme court is just like: the government can’t provide government services without bigotry because of “religious freedom”. What a disgusting, broken system. It makes me so mad at the Catholic church for pushing hatred.

And fuck the US Supreme Court Guardian Council, too. Apparently the right to run a foster agency is enshrined in the constitution. How about we recruit a protestant fire department that has a religious objection to saving buildings owned by Catholics? Don’t worry, they can just call the Catholic fire department, right?

17 Likes

Well yes. Two sides of the sword, and technology being “neutral” and all. If DARPA puts out a request for a new technology, of course it will be framed in the most humanitarian way possible. How much of the US defense budget is spent on activities that are not offensive though?

the one upside to the ruling is that it is drawn so narrowly that it literally applies only to that one case.

1 Like

It’s a natural thing, it happens, whatever. I dunno if anyone else is familiar with these videos. This has just wrecked me.

“Yesterday I had to say goodbye to my best friend. Maple passed away peacefully during the night, while I held her in my arms.”

8 Likes

‘Irresponsible use of our water’: Drought-stricken cities question value of data centers

All centers need some form of cooling technology, typically either computer room air-conditioning systems – essentially large units that cool air with water or refrigerant – or evaporative cooling, which evaporates water to cool the air. Evaporative cooling uses a lot less electricity, but more water. Since water is cheaper than electricity, data centers tend to opt for the more water-intensive approach. The growth in the industry shows no signs of slowing.

12 Likes

Rationing of scarce resources, moving them from one place that has them, to places that can’t sustain them, or taking advantage of resources becoming more scarce seems to be the power play of the wealthy and less than egalitarian. <prove me wrong meme/>

1 Like

i really wish i could

3 Likes

This happened not far from where I live. A friend of mine is one of the coroners doing autopsies and it’s as god-awful as you can imagine. The children’s bodies are not immediately identifiable because of the fire, and because they come from a foster home for abused children, the parents are in some cases not reachable, or shouldn’t be reached.

Fuck all that.

20 Likes