Fuck Today (Part 1)

Saw this video, which led me to take a look at what’s going on in Oceanside, CA (and elsewhere). Really ugly stuff:

More on the parking restrictions mentioned in the video:

The ways some municipalities are targeting the homeless and folks living in vehicles is terrible.

9 Likes

we coo.
elsa is about 70 miles west of Key West, in the Gulf (7.6.21 @ 1200EDT)
Upper Keys, Oceanside here. expecting squalls with heavy rain and 30-40mph gusts. nothing serious. nothing we haven’t already endured.
thanks for the lookout!
edit: correct date.

15 Likes

Less seriously (for us on the outside, anyway)

How about getting bit on the junk by a python on the john?

10 Likes

Are there not a lot of nomads on San Onofre? That’s kind of an oddball stretch of beach between the rich folks. No one should be forced to move, but I’m just curious how nomads are actually dealing with it.

8 Likes

Shit, this can’t be good…

7 Likes
4 Likes

Speaking as an ex-football steward, I would treat pointing a laser pointer at a player the same as if they had run on the pitch and punched them.

17 Likes

Yeah, the booing during national anthems is one thing, this is just disgusting.

In Denmark we are seeing quite a few accounts of the behavior of the England fans during and after the game. Obviously notallfans, but here’s a thread in English:

6 Likes

Just as a counterpoint, from a friend, not all of them are dicks.

11 Likes

Oh, I know they’re not. It just hurts our feelings when it’s the English because we feel kinship with them.

1 Like

Like George Carlin said, it isn’t all the fans, but it is enough to fuck things up. :frowning:

I don’t usually care much about international football, maybe it’s because I am an internationalist (I feel that have no country, England was just where my parents lived), maybe it’s because I am half English/half Scottish and I grew up in Carlisle (The Great Border City, but I don’t know what is so great about it). I usually end up supporting countries that have ex-Carlisle United players in their squads. This time that means England because Jordan Pickford spent half a season at Carlisle, he was only meant to stay there on loan for a month but he asked if he could have an extension. When a lot of your teams squad are journeymen looking for the best deal for them and their family at the end of their contract (and there’s nothing wrong with that), players who do things like that get noticed.

With the Brexit disaster getting worse every day I feel more of an outsider than I normally do. Part of me wants Pickford to get a winners medal, but the other part doesn’t want the jingoist nonsense that will inevitably happen now regardless of the final result.

7 Likes

“He has issues with his personality,” Leitess told the jury. "They are things that make him eccentric or odd — not things that make him insane.”

I have been described like this. And have never thought about whether that gives me license to kill people. This thing of “othering” folks who look at the world through a different lens has got to end.

12 Likes

I’ve personally lived in enough countries to not really call one mine, I tend to support teams that play good football, and both Italy and England have done that this tournament (well, the semis were a bit crap)…

The fact that I’ve lived for decent amounts of time in both countries helps too.

My family is not great. Narcissists, abusers, thieves, all present and accounted for. Bc of one particularly toxic and criminal member (a sibling) I’ve gone mostly no-contact with a lot of them who won’t have a relationship with me without trying to finagle that person into my life (they act as agents for the narcissist).
Anyhoo, I got this via text message late last night from my mother (parents divorced waaaay back):

“Just heard from (state he lives in). Your father has cancer (not skin) and he’d really like to talk to you.”

So, either this is a means to lure me into drama, or he’s so incapacitated that he can’t use the multiple means of communication open to him? He has my phone number, email, mailing address…
And for any parents out there, is texting now an appropriate way to tell your kids their parent has cancer? It seems so…WTF. And I realize I probably come out sounding like a cold-hearted bitch, but dealing with people like this for decades makes one veeeery wary. Fuck today.

Editing to clarify: the toxic sibling also lives in that state, and father and mother do not communicate, so the text is code for, “just heard from this person.”

23 Likes

FWIW, for both my wife and me, when we went through it, we held off on telling the kids until we could tell them in person. But we had the option of time, which is not always the case. We also have very high anxiety kids, so no, texting was not an option.

13 Likes

You text and say “I have to talk to you about something really important, so call me as soon as you can.”

10 Likes

15 Likes

fI eel your distress, and I sincerely hope this isn’t too much affecting you.

A terminal medical condition due to cancer was, in my family’s case, the cause for family members who completely avoided contact for more than 20 years to get into contact via proxy, and then meet at the deathbed. Texts were sent, and no, text are and were not appropriate.

Some family members got into more contact than they wanted to in the process. However, for most of them, the contact to the dying person, and what they talked about, was very important.

At some point, I was organising timeslots for some people not to meet. I am sure I did many people a great service. I also have reason to believe that I should have taken more care of myself and my own needs.

11 Likes

Judge overturns FDA ban on electroshock as punishment, essentially with the reasoning that if it is punishment it isn’t medicine.

8 Likes