Fuck Today (Part 1)

Yikes.

I hope it all turns out okay…

Agreed!

4 Likes

Probably solidly in the category of “who cares” but I decided since I had some free spoons left today I would try to reconfigure the raspberry pi (model 1 B) and get some server stuff installed on it so next time I have free spoons I can do some light web development.

Card doesn’t recognize on Mac or on PC (or so I think) and can’t be diskpart’d on Windows and I don’t thought I didn’t know how on Mac and the internet wasn’t being useful. But the pi can boot to its own card so I could at least apt-get update and limp along from there.

Except I apparently didn’t write down the password I made for it and it’s none of the ones I use on my throwaway *NIX boxes (what was I thinking?). So I try a different windows PC (with a built-in SD Card Reader) and whaddaya know the damn thing diskparts fine. Reformat the thing and voila I’m ready to go. Except I don’t have space free on any of my USB sticks so let’s move back to my Mac since I already downloaded the image on it.

Nope. Still doesn’t see it. WTF. Move to my Windows 10 PC (with the same portable card reader … a hint) and it still doesn’t see it. Move it to a USB 2.0 port. Still nope. Is my portable card reader dead? Plug in my camera’s SD card. 32 GB mostly full of my photography.

Portable card reader is fine. It just hates the 8GB card I bought for my pi back when I bought my pi.

90 minutes wasted and nothing to show for it except anxiety.

7 Likes

the pi partitions the card in a way that other OSs can’t really get to it.

use the tool you can download here to wipe it clean. it is what i ended up using to wipe MrsTobinL’s old image/card for the PI so I could put in my mp3 player.

4 Likes

I tried that one. It didn’t work but it wasn’t the software’s fault. It’s my damned card reader. It works fine for all my class 10 cards. I’m not sure if it’s relevant but my pi’s card is a class 4 and … it’s a different brand than I buy for my camera. Only two differences I’m aware of.

Plain old windows diskpart did fine when I used another card reader. I just can’t move the card reader that likes my pi’s card to a computer that has the img file on it.

ETA: Card works fine with spiffy new fat32 partition on the computer with the built in card reader. But it’s my work computer and I don’t want to run Win32DiskImager from it. Plus I’d have to download the image over because all my media’s full (I have a 128GB USB 3.0 stick coming tomorrow if the mail cooperates but there’s no telling when I’ll have energy to mess around with this again.

2 Likes

Since you’re having a hideous day, I made several Hedgezilla vs. Mothra scenes for you:

Also something to brighten things up a bit:

23 Likes

This morning I checked on Her Highness and discovered she passed away in her sleep last night. I am still a bit numb from denial but feel the pain slowly sinking in. I’ve never really had a pet I was quite tthis attached to, today will be hard.

50 Likes

I am so sorry to hear that.

Her Highness’s quest to Make America Polite Again will never be forgotten.

29 Likes

Oh no!

I’m so sorry.

19 Likes

Very sorry to hear it.

21 Likes

I’m very sorry for your loss- she was a treasure, and I know I (and many, many other here) will miss her.

25 Likes

I’m so sorry. Today will be hard, but please don’t forget that you gave her a good life with fantastic toys and a lot of love. Hang in there, man.

26 Likes

OMG I am so sorry! :frowning:
I’m so glad she had someone like you for her care. She was so well loved and obviously loved you too.

So many internet hugs for you.

26 Likes

Thanks guys, man does this hurt. I’d made this last eve. when she was doing not great, but was still walking around, eating, and drinking.

38 Likes

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

20 Likes

Aw man. Fuck. Fuck. FUCK. So sorry; the world is a poorer place without her. But as someone upthread said, you guys gave her the best life and I hope that knowledge eventually lessens your pain. Much love to you and yours.

30 Likes

She was a delightful creature and will be missed. My condolences to you.

27 Likes

We all are gonna feel sad today for this loss. She brought a lot of joy to the BB denizens and others.

28 Likes

I imagine her in hedgehog heaven, rolling happily over cars.

So sorry for your loss, feel hugged (ah, if you wish so).

25 Likes

OH NO! I’m so sorry! I haven’t been checking on this thread lately and just found out. That sucks. I offer you all the hedgehugs in the world.

30 Likes

:broken_heart:

29 Likes