Fuck Today (Part 1)

I did so, different browser, different computer, different IP address, to no avail. But I squawked at 'em, and they got right back to me. Turns out they’re having actual problems with it, and I can just buy the tickets, and anytime between now and an hour before the show I can go to the theater and exchange the tix for my free ones, get a full refund, and still have the good seats.

So they have successfully UnFucked Today for me.

Victory!

:blush:

25 Likes

I’m onboard: fuck today!

We rise fresh on the 'morrow, ready to tackle what must be tackled, full body.

flattened

12 Likes

My relatively unused digital camera stopped working during my son’s college graduation last June. I finally had free time today to take a closer look at it, turns out to have a fault that this model (Fuji XF1) is famous for, and for which Fuji has never taken responsibility. The repair cost is as much as the camera cost new. It is now a beautiful paperweight that for a brief time took fantastic photos.

I have a closet full of film cameras, none of which ever let me down like this.

22 Likes

I bought cheese, and forgot the crackers.

15 Likes

Ms Tachin has been feeling ill the last few days, she assured me she was making a doctor’s appointment for Saturday. She didn’t.
Today she got a migraine so bad she was vomiting so she finally agreed to go to the doctor, on a Sunday night which means going to the emergency room.
A couple of hours later and a couple of shots of some strong pain meds and she’s starting to feel better. Now I have a pretty bad headache and I’ll have to wake up early tomorrow to get Tachin Jr ready for school and drive him there, which means I’ll get to the office late.
At least today is over.
Edit: Autocorrect errors.

24 Likes

If you work in a library–I’m not a librarian but what they call a library assistant or para-professional–I think you’ll agree that the individuals who design library databases and other software have no clue what they’re doing. I think it’s only because they serve such a limited market that these companies can get away with telling most or all their customers, “We don’t give a shit what your opinion is.”

To take a recent example:
Imagine this BBS was redesigned so that you could only get to topics by going in through the main page. Imagine this completely disappeared:

All the topics are still there and the main page has been redesigned so that this is the only way to get to them:

Actually that doesn’t seem so bad, but in the case of the library database I’m dealing with they’ve removed the stable URL that listed everything we’ve purchased and replaced it with a broad search engine that says “See if you can find what you’re looking for, fuckers!”

16 Likes

This is from one of the truly great ballads of this century. If you haven’t heard the title track to Alice, you are in for a treat (if you like smokey, noir ballads).

And so a secret kiss
Brings madness with the bliss
And I will think of this
When I’m dead in my grave

Arithmetic arithmetock
Turn the hands back on the clock
How does the ocean rock the boat?
How did the razor find my throat?
The only strings that hold me here
Are tangled up around the pier.

And so a secret kiss
Brings madness with the bliss
And I will think of this
When I’m dead in my grave"

–Tom Waits, Alice

The word play is soo luscious, and really speaks to me. This isn’t a Fuck Today post as much as it is a… I’m glad I got fucked :D. I felt love, she may come back, but I met my Alice. I traced her name twice, and fell through the ice.

But unlike the song, I pulled myself out of that looking glass.

10 Likes

So, an update on my landlord woes.

Three weeks ago, my landlord wanted to do a “safety inspection” of the flat. This would have been the same old thing he’s been pulling irregularly for a while, wherein he walks around the flat telling me that “everything” has to go, and checking the positions of the electrical sockets again (because he can’t seem to remember where they are from one visit to the next and has never drawn a helpful chart for some reason). I told him I wasn’t available at that time. So he texted back the next day saying that he was visiting the day after with a builder to determine what needs to be done after I’ve left (he’s given me notice to quit). So he turned up late in the afternoon with a threesome of burly men.

That wasn’t a fuck today because that led to him phoning the police (the UK police, note) and emit the following: “He’s assaulting me by standing in the doorway with his arms crossed!” He went away angry, but he went away. To date, the police, no doubt having better things to do with their limited budget, have not contacted me.

So the notice to quit runs out today, so the next thing he has to do is get a court order. Instead, he chose to unlock my door this morning (this is very dodgy in UK law, but might be deniable) and attempt entry. When the door chain prevented him, he tried to force it. Fully awake by now — it was 9:20, but I hadn’t gotten to sleep until 4:30 this morning — we had some words through the gap. I reminded him that he needs to get the court order. He said something nasty about my friends, I called him a bully, he called me a skunk (or it might have been “drunk”, he accused me of this last time; I’m teetotal, btw). Then he went away, promising to get the local council (who pay most of my rent for me) to investigate me for fraud. (This is an empty threat.)

The thing that makes it a fuck today is that I looked at the door properly just now with my glasses on and realised that he had broken the door jamb. Just a bit more force and he might have broken the chain attachment off. The crazy, bullying fucker.

Right now, I’m getting over the shakes and debating whether I should go out and get some glue and screws and maybe a new lock, or if he’s going to be waiting for me to do that so he can change locks on me while I’m out.

20 Likes

I don’t know how legal it is to change the locks as a tenant where you are; the landlord may have a legal right to a key. Don’t do anything that can get you thrown out legally.

Do you have anyone who can come by and drop off what you need to fix the door?

And don’t you have to leave today anyway? You said that he’s given you notice, which runs out today, right?

7 Likes

As I understand it in the UK that’s totally legal, all you need to do is give the landlord reasonable access to carry out repairs after they give you written notice.

7 Likes

As I said, the next legal step is the court order, which will probably take a couple of weeks and will, in all likelihood, give me an extra couple of weeks at least from that date to get out. At that point he can call the bailiffs and get all menacing and shit legally. This morning he was just being a weasel. (No offence to any mustelids reading BB.)

Yes, I should be out already, for the sake of my sanity, but my sanity, or lack of it, has been getting in the way somewhat. Also, trying to find somewhere to move to has been difficult so far. This is the UK, where housing is an ongoing problem. And money, that’s always a problem.

13 Likes

This is my favorite coffee cup:

I left the book I’m reading forty miles from here, and the pressure ulcer on my old man has, in five days, gone from almost healed to stage four hitting the bone.

I do not have enough middle fingers for today.

30 Likes

Fuck that shit-weasel of a landlord. I wish you the best of luck in finding someplace safe next, sounds like you deserve it.

ETA: Everybody deserves a safe place to live, I just really hope you find one soon.

16 Likes

At least today is proving to be consistent. The toilet lever broke,

And some unnamed citizen gifted me with this door? ding. How, I have no idea, it’s almost a1/4 inch deep.

I should go post in Victory now, this day has managed to turn the corner into an absurdist comedy.

23 Likes

As one of my nursing instructors once said about this exact situation:

#Someone is not doing their fucking job.

17 Likes

Ah-yep. It was my understanding that this is a “never” occurrence, as in should never occur. Three hours after the wound care nurse left we caught the CNA lying about turning him. Around and around it goes.

13 Likes

‘Never’ is damn right. That’s obscene, and those responsible need to find another line of work or (if they’re nurses) find a different line of nursing that doesn’t demand patient maintenance. Surgical and community come to mind.

13 Likes

Got water in my ear a few days ago and I still can’t really hear out of it. It’s gradually getting better but fuck, is it ever aggravating.

14 Likes

That sucks. Which ear is it, so I know what side of the screen to speak up on?

IS IT THIS SIDE?                                                                  OR THIS SIDE?

20 Likes

Yes. :rage:

13 Likes