Fuck Today (Part 1)

Okay, I do get that. It says good things about you that you want to do that too. And that actually fits with a learned negotiation strategy that I use sometimes (because that stuff doesn’t come naturally to me).

I’m, well, I felt I had to say that because I’m aware that in an abusive situation, ‘that’ party will switch to being reasonable from time to time and this wrong-foots the other and makes them doubt themself. (Deliberate or unconscious? It can be either and doesn’t matter.)

Sorry for digression, basically: Yes, I understand.

5 Likes

I am being trolled. That is the only explanation for my stepdad’s response to me explaining what being a climate change denier means. ‘Well how do they know what the world was like? They weren’t there so how can they know what we’re supposed to have for weather?’

To just go 'these people who have spent collective lifetimes gathering data about what we know applying it to the past and then making models of the future that are proving accurate are flat out full of shit?

I literally can’t even…

I give up. I have officially given up on them.

14 Likes

Probably. Either that or he’s waiting for a True Scotsman to explain things.

Smart move. :thumbsup:

16 Likes

And how I fucking hate it.

6 Likes

From what you been saying, it’s pretty clear that not matter what you do or say, he won’t respect your PoV. It’s like dealing with miserable, contrarian wankers on the intarwebs. Best not to engage or just a “yeah, if you like.” in return.
Course, it’s more difficult when you’re living with them. :frowning2:

10 Likes

I’m a scientist raised by an engineer in a family of engineers, so I don’t have this same exact problem of science denialism in my family, but outside the family I find out what they do for a living and promptly show it the same level of respect they show scientists doing science. I figure what’s good for the goose is good for the gander, and I find they either huff off or change their tone rather rapidly. Either way, I get what I want.

In your case, if he is driving trollies you, the same rules that apply to the Internet apply to real life, don’t feed the trolley unless you’re baiting a line to trolley back, and the latter is only attempted in the direst of circumstances/boredom. The way I see it, if you’re not having as much fun with him as he’s clearly having with you, then:

(I normally reserve posting that video for trollies, but I don’t mean it that way with regards to you, I just really like that video and wanted an excuse to post it, so I hope you don’t take it as animus directed at you.)

Either way, I wish you better luck in the future, or at least less aggravation. But what I’ve found in arguments with my family about other things, is that it helps to adopt a certain Zen about it, by which I mean a sense that your feelings about the situation, however valid, come from within and can thusly be controlled and mitigated. You need to leave him with the sense that you haven’t lost the argument, it’s just that the argument hasn’t ended, and possibly never will, and above all that this eternal state doesn’t bother you in the least. You don’t say any of this, you just smile knowingly and nod at the end of “arguments,” and they will always know that just because you’ve lost interest, it doesn’t imply assent of any kind. It can be aggravating, but you can’t let it rise to the surface. You need to express greater stoicism and assuredness than they, because what’s obvious to me (and I’m just gleaning this off how you describe your interactions, I could be wrong) is that they derive pleasure from your reaction. Learn from Pavlov: You need to make it unpleasant, or at very least, unrewarding, to trolley you. You’ll likely discover, to some disappointment, that the argument itself was never that important, and that needling you was the whole point all along. There’s something about the way that you describe your interactions that comes across as being deeply mean-spirited on their end. Nothing about that outgoing meanness is within your control, you can only control how receive and dissipate it, and it seems to me that they want a reaction. So don’t give them one. They get a kick out of their opinion mattering so much to you, so make it the least important thing that could ever cross your mind.

This is a lot of words to say that as hard as it is, you sound like you could benefit from a strong dose of not giving a fuck.

12 Likes

My problem is it’s family so I give give a large number of fucks, because to the causal listener they sound like racist homophobe white people first implement christian law and Muslims are a breeding ground of terrorists.

They are family though and reducing them down to that. Reducing them down to all these liberal leaning articles that do the ‘here is why anyone not us are moron idiot monsters’ offends me because to put in slightly factually incorrect language but emotionally relevant language? I am trying to save them from the same trap of anger and bitterness I was falling into for several years that had me lashing out at everyone and curling in on their own hate as the only warm thing in their lives. That is not who raised me and taught me to always try to help, to be the bigger person, swallow your pride and ask for help if you need it, and that america is wonderful because anyone can come here and have a chance to be awesome in their own way.

And I have failed.

8 Likes

I’m so tired and I don’t know why. I’ve had at least 9 1/2 hours sleep every night for a week, and I wasn’t losing sleep before then. This evening my wife prepared a meal and we were going to watch a movie together, but I had to leave after a short time. I just don’t have the energy to be around people or think straight, and it sucks.

This afternoon we took the kids to a pantomime and the library, and I think that was all of my spoons for the day.

23 Likes

This afternoon we took the kids to a pantomime and the library, and I think that was all of my spoons for the day.

I think this is the most adorably British sentence I’ve read all week.

14 Likes

Lots and lots to unpack. But in the interest of not Burying the Lede, have you read my short story, “Huffing”?

2 Likes

Dehydration?
Iron deficiency?
Headache?

3 Likes

Too much sleep?

4 Likes

THIS oh god this!

@jsroberts

I get this all the time.

5 Likes

No headache and I’ve been drinking enough. I don’t show any signs of anaemia either, just shoulder pain. I guess sometimes if you start to rest your body stops holding out and demands a proper break. I’ll give it a couple more weeks before I get worried.

I don’t think so either – I’d be more lethargic, but this feels kind of like jet lag or if I’d been up all night.

4 Likes

If that’s the case, maybe you have. If it persists, maybe try a sleep study?

3 Likes

How’s your stress level? Sometimes sleepiness/lethargy can come from that.

2 Likes

I may be stressed, I came back home after three days in the clinic and it was obvious that it had been difficult to get everything done without me there. I want to be involved and I’ve still been able to do housework, but being around people drains me really quickly at the moment. My family has noticed that I’ve been more tense since I came back, which is one reason I was sleeping more. I’m not particularly worried yet, I just hate that my wife planned the evening and I had to abandon her.

12 Likes

First 24 hours that I haven’t smoked a cigarette in 10 years is complete.

Now for the fucking rest of my life.

You know what’d make me just unbelievably happy right now?

Having a cig.

35 Likes

If you had to spend all your spoons in one go that seems like a very good use of them. Hope you feel better.

Congratulations!

Go for a walk. It’ll help.

13 Likes

Wrong thread.

Should go here:

One day, one hour, even one minute at a time. It gets easier. :thumbsup:

16 Likes