Fuck Today (Part 1)

Finally a good reason for Brexit!

8 Likes

Oh lord, weā€™ll be back to rabies measures if the government notices, wonā€™t we?

3 Likes

Not entirely irrelevant. Can anyone work out all the animals?

1 Like

This is something I worry about quite a bit: my son is constantly needing antibiotics for different infections, so running out would hit him hard.

Itā€™s really not been his day today. He had a few meltdowns this morning before school, but I managed to get him there OK. Later I picked him up from school, but when I got his bike ready and went to fetch mine a few metres away, he disappeared. I guess heā€™d gone around a building rather than coming straight to me, but when I went to look I couldnā€™t see him (itā€™s possible that I had just missed him). He couldnā€™t find me and had gone down the road to look for me before having another meltdown, which is when I found him. Heā€™s never done that before; I put my bike in the same place with the other adult bikes every day, and he always comes straight to me. Then later with my wife, he started crossing the road at the green light and a car turned right quickly and hit him. He wasnā€™t hurt, but a big guy jumped out of the car and started apologising and touching him to make sure he was OK. I guess all my son knew was that someone had hit him from behind and was now grabbing him and talking in an agitated voice. He wasnā€™t at his best when they got home.

I feel like a crappy parent, but in the first case there was nothing unusual about the way he was acting just before and I turned my back for less than 10 seconds, and in the second it was completely the driverā€™s fault since my son had right of way. Just when you think you can predict peopleā€™s behaviourā€¦

This is actually the second time weā€™ve seen a near accident on that junction. Last time (a couple of years ago) I was with my daughter and a car ran a red light just in front of us, nearly hitting two police officers who were crossing from the other side.

16 Likes

First, Iā€™m so glad your son is OK and the driver stopped to help. Thatā€™s a terrifying experience.

In a freakish bit of coincidence, my wife and I were also hit by a car while walking back from the movies last night. It was a busy, well-lit intersection and we waited for the walk symbol before crossing. Green light and walk both signal at the same time, so we quickly check the left turn lane to our right - the car there isnā€™t moving, so we begin to cross.

Halfway through the intersection, I look quickly to my right in time to see my wife go shooting up the hood of a moving vehicle yelling ā€œWHAT THE FUCK!?ā€ just before shooting up that same hood myself.

Thank goodness that: a) we were flung to the side once arriving at the windshield and just went ass-over-teakettle to the side of the road b) it was a low profile vehicle and we werenā€™t knocked forward and c) nobody landed on their head. Nothing crushed, nothing run over, just a few scrapes and cuts from the landing.

Driver stopped and was as shaken up as we were. Swapped information. Made it the rest of the way home on pure adrenaline. Wifeā€™s hand was still sore today, and a trip to urgent care confirmed a fracture on the outer metatarsal of her left hand from her landing.

So, yeah: fuck the last 24 hours.

22 Likes

cat, dog, rat/mouse?, rabbit/hare, monkey, mouse/hamster?

(I cheated, see another version of the same sign without the weathering)

5 Likes

Ack! Glad heā€™s okay! A similar thing happened to my cousin once. We were walking home from school together (they lived on the other side of our duplex at the time). We went to leave the schoolā€™s property and he darted out into the intersection and was hit. The street went past our elementary school to the HS, so the person wasnā€™t going very fast at all (and the road was rather short). But it totally wigged us out. They had a crossing guard at the intersection after that.

10 Likes

Cat, dog, rat, rabbit, monkey, mouse?

Iā€™m not entirely confident about rat, though.

2 Likes

@jsroberts @messana Folks, my sympathies, and very best wishes to you both. Iā€™m sorry youā€™ve each (and your loved ones) been through the wringer.

10 Likes

@renke that is cheating, but as that resulted in a less sun-faded version of the sign, Iā€™m inclined to give it a pass. :wink: (And thank you)

@cleveremi That was pretty much my conclusion, so you win (:slight_smile:) - Iā€™m still not 100% sure that the second from the right isnā€™t actually a Godzilla, though.

8 Likes

I got the same thingā€¦but without cheating.:neutral_face:

3 Likes

Damn, sorry you two went through that, glad you both are (mostly) okay.

No wonder the Coleridge had a bumpy stop.

2 Likes

Can I give a ā€˜fuck the last few daysā€™?
Because while Iā€™ve been hiding it on here and acting like nothing was wrong, boy has it earned it.

On Tuesday, I learnt that extreme stress and anxiety can cause such a remarkably good impression of heart trouble/ongoing microstroke that your doctor calls 999 and you end up spending the afternoon and evening in A&E.

On Wednesday, I learnt that even though the symptoms arenā€™t a micro stroke, (Yay!) the physical strain caused by equivalent symptoms doesnā€™t go away overnight.

On Thursday, my delayed emotional processing is just catching up, and Iā€™m kinda still realising just what happened. And Iā€™m still emotionally and physically exhausted and catching-up days later. (And trying to actually integrate the emotional stuff and not just ignore it)

Whee!

17 Likes

On the positive side: At least I know that my heart is absolutely fine, and this wasnā€™t a clot, and that this place is a great distraction. :slight_smile: - but, while Iā€™m a great hider, if Iā€™ve been weirder than usual, thatā€™s why. Well, at least partly.

Oh, and the NHS rocks.

12 Likes

(()hug))) We care about you. Please keep checking in with us.

Listening hotline is a great idea. I volunteered on one a long time ago. I called one about a month ago because it was a super shitty day. I got lucky and had a good listener. It helped me get through it and ā€¦ things are better. Still tough but better.

As far as coping skills with parents, it can be done but give yourself a lot of time because as they say in AA your parents know how to push your buttons best. Theyā€™re the ones that installed them.

12 Likes

This is a tiny, little, inconsequential thing, but:
Iā€™m at the car repair place waiting for mrs nothingfutureā€™s car to have a bit of work done. Iā€™m sitting in the waiting room because Iā€™m working from home and Iā€™ve got shit to do.
And the tv is tuned to fucking Fox News and that fuck-faced shitgibbon is doing his CPAC speech and Imma burn this motherfucker down.

Sorry. Needed to get that out.

21 Likes

do you know where the sign is erected? they will be mightily surprised when I drop a ship-load full of giraffes and elephants near it

3 Likes

Sure! You already know Iā€™m UKian, so if I tell you that the following photo was taken about 50ft away, and ten minutes after the other one:

(And yes, it took me a while after taking the photo to realise that the harbour is indeed called ā€˜Stabbsā€™ with added punctuation to throw people off.)

6 Likes
8 Likes

When I was a kid, I got a universal remote back when that was a big unheard-of thing and programmed it for my neighborā€™s TV. Hilarity ensued.

10 Likes