Fucking NY Times

8 Likes

The differences between these systems isnā€™t any more an ā€œopinionā€ than the differences between a kiwi fruit and a small rabid hedgehog are. They may seem similar if youā€™re not really paying attention, but when you bring them to your mouth one gives a fuzzy sensation, then a tangy burst of flavor, and the other gives a fuzzy sensation, then intense pain as a crazed animal bites through your lip.

I think I might use that the next time Iā€™m met with some whataboutism conflating two different things

6 Likes

But do hedgehogs really feel fuzzy though? Iā€™ve never held one but I thought they were a bit prickly.

4 Likes

the both sides tone of this article ( heard it on air ) really got to me. itā€™s talking about how red zip codes are becoming redder, blue bluer.

the reporter profiles two families, one right leaning, one left, and a social scientist who says:

ā€œThey are still sorting themselves in ways that end up that places are increasingly Republican or increasingly Democratic,ā€ he says. ā€œThen you can see that playing out in Congress. There are fewer people in the middle. And so politics becomes less about solving our problems anymore. Itā€™s about cheering for our side. And so weā€™re stuck.ā€

Yet while social scientists and journalists may fret over this political segregation, for the people changing ZIP codes to be with their own tribe, itā€™s a kind of deliverance

but what they completely miss is that the left leaning family moved from an area ( greenfield, indiana ) thatā€™s 97% white to one ( austin ) thatā€™s 68% white. and austin has a significant number of out lgbtq folks too

equating white flight with people who would like even a tad less white heteronormativity supremacy in their day to day lives just doesnā€™t seem right. picking diversity is the opposite of ā€œtribalismā€

9 Likes

Good point. Iā€™ll add my own example, whereby family circumstance made me have to move to a particularly red district in Indiana, but Iā€™ve found a compromise in an equally-red district about 30 miles away that seems to be more open to diversity and more aware of a civic responsibility to keep oneā€™s personal beliefs private. So I will feel safer living there, even though itā€™s actually a higher percentage of white population than where Iā€™m moving from.

5 Likes

Citation needed - agreed that this is a conclusion drawn without presenting much evidence. Iā€™ve read multiple articles on this site about how red zip codes are losing people due to age, lack of jobs/opportunity, and now COVID. Who is moving into those areas? Left-leaning people, immigrants, and more variations of what they consider to be ā€œothers.ā€ Naturally, conflict ensues. :woman_shrugging:t4:

5 Likes

My preferred construction is the exhonerative case. It makes the intent clear, makes a little joke about the accusative case, and doesnā€™t trample existing terms.

1 Like

I didnā€™t get to hear this on the radio, but the promos for it came off like it was going to be like thatā€¦

Iā€™ll also point out that people who are being targeted (such as families with trans kids) are looking for safer environments for their kids, not to be shielded from people with differing views.

5 Likes

good point. it seems to have been drawn from this analysis ( and some real estate companies like red fin are mentioned too )

https://centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/the-big-sort-continues-with-trump-as-a-driving-force/

i donā€™t really follow it all. theyā€™re maybe looking at votes as a percentage of population per county, and seeing more counties over time which swing strongly in one direction or the other?

i only scanned it but they do seem to mention some of the racial dynamics which got lost in nprā€™s story

Compared to Trumpā€™s strength in rural white America, Bidenā€™s small array of super landslide counties in 2020 was rather eclectic. There were small, heavily Black counties in the Deep South, such as Macon County, Alabama (Tuskegee); predominantly Native American counties in the Upper Midwest; and academic-oriented communities such as Charlottesville, Virginia.

yeah. :confused: they did mention that family that moved to austin felt threatened but glossed over those considerations in favor of the ā€œmy teamā€ idea

4 Likes

No Way Reaction GIF by Originals

3 Likes

All the news thatā€™s fit to print, plus a bunch of whatever this shit is.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Getting harder to separate the satire these days.

8 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes
9 Likes

From the morning briefing:

National heroes sometimes have humble political origins.
Abraham Lincoln was arguably the countryā€™s least-qualified president ā€” a former one-term member of Congress ā€” at the time that he took office.

I get that they wanted to pick someone who went on to become a hero of sorts, but at this point is there really any question about the countryā€™s least-qualified presidentā€¦?
Assuming qualified means ā€œqualified to fulfill the role according to the nationā€™s laws and constitution.ā€
:woman_shrugging:t2:

Oh, on second reading I guess they mean ā€œat that time.ā€
But still, fucking NY Times.

8 Likes

id say george washington was by far the least qualified. during the debates, he couldnā€™t even name one president he liked! not one

12 Likes

Nowadays he wouldnā€™t even be eligible, since he wasnā€™t born in the United States.

8 Likes

from

22 Likes