Fulfilling an ancient prophecy, a raven has left the Tower of London

There is a similar (made-up Victorian) prophecy concerning London Stone. When it was temporarily removed from its site on Cannon Street during construction work, I remember thinking that couldn’t be a good sign, and sure enough: Brexit.

It has since been restored, and the new building has a nicer alcove for it, but obviously the teleological aftershocks are ongoing. Hopefully the Corporation of London will tighten up their mystickal safety protocols in future.

5 Likes

That this news comes just as the Brexit deal was finalized is surely just coincidence.

Yes. A coincidence is exactly what it is.

1 Like

Fun Fact: By law, the birds are only allowed to have one mouth each because The Criminal Justice and Public Order Act of 1994 outlawed raven to repetitive beaks.

3 Likes

Heck, there was even a post about Skaife’s book right here on Boing Boing a few years back.

2 Likes

Some Raven Leaves Tower, Some Raven Comes to Tower

5 Likes

So if the raven returns, do they put the other one back in a cage?

1 Like

Bojoke has to be the strangest and least believable of Nyarlathotep’s Thousand Forms

4 Likes

So, Brian Blessed, the Bird Man, but not this one…

I suspect you pull my leg, but it seems to be real…

14 Likes

I think you’ll find his name is pronounced “BRIAN BLESSED”, and not “Brian Blessed”.

I’m not usually a stickler for these things, but I know that BRIAN is.

13 Likes

The three concealments and disclosures of the Isle of Britain. The first was the head of Bran the Blessed, the son of Llyr, that Owain the son of Ambrosius had concealed in the white hill in London; and while it remained in that state, no injury could happen to this Island… And Arthur revealed the head of Bran the Blessed, the son of Llyr, because he scorned to keep the Island but by his own might; and after these three disclosures, the invaders obtained the superiority over the Cambrian nation.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Triads_of_Britain#53

(The “white hill” is conventionally identified with Tower Hill.)

6 Likes

It’ll probably turn up in Melbourne and be euthanized as a threat to biosecurity.

6 Likes

I swear I did not shoot and eat that delicious, plump-breasted raven.

8 Likes

…and his mate DAAAAAVE!

4 Likes

@thomdunn There was no ancient prophecy that a raven would leave the Tower of London, which is what your headline seems to believe.

Nor is there a prophecy that if bad things happen, a raven will then leave the Tower.

There is a superstition that if the ravens leave the Tower, bad things will happen as a result (i.e. afterwards).

Well, a raven has left the Tower and your headline writing has become drivel. I wonder if there is a link? Hey-ho. :wink:

(And, yes, whilst I don’t often crow about it, I do have one of these…Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 12.09.12 )

5 Likes

Here I am sitting in Brexit Britain. I am going to find something uplifting on the internet even if I have to make it myself…
Birdman

9 Likes

vultan-dive

9 Likes

I had Raven Bran myself.

5 Likes

Did someone say Bran?

bran stark episode 3 GIF by Game of Thrones

5 Likes

:notes: I shot the raven,
But I swear it was in self-defense
Oh no no