Fulton County: Trump's bond set at $200k

My thoughts exactly.

I recall reading that in some European countries that fines like traffic tickets are a percentage of your net worth to make them have a similar “bite” for poor and rich alike, so speeding tickets can cost tens of thousands of dollars.

I would love to see that philosophy taken up in the US.

12 Likes

My favourite case in that vein happened a few years ago. Norwegian idiot buys Lamborghini in Italy. Drives it home through Denmark. Goes 232 km/h (144 mph) on the motorway on the way to the ferry. Never reaches Norway because Danish police will just impound and sell your vehicle if you go insanely over the speed limit (over 200 km/h speed).

12 Likes

Trump’s bond has been set at $200,000.00 and it seems like he’s [pretty much not allowed to talk about the case

I give him fifteen minutes before he breaks the terms of the bond. It’s normally be less, but he’ll need to finish his covfefe.

10 Likes

And Switzerland:

Switzerland, which operates a similar income-based system, is believed to have imposed the highest ever traffic fine: Sfr3,600 a day for 300 days, or about €1.1m, for a Swedish motorist caught driving at 290km/h between Berne and Lausanne.

8 Likes

And remember, officers, please don’t be too nice!
(You can take the hand away, ok?)

10 Likes

I like to imagine what prison might be like for him…

1 Like

Don’t you mean “how will he bilk his supporters for $200,000 to help ‘defend’ him?”

5 Likes

I dunno. $200k is a lot of trading cards to sell.

3 Likes

Ah, the mugshot.
Does Georgia require the removal of all makeup, eyeglasses, and hairpieces?
Could be ghastly. Oh, The Humanity! Oh, The Hilarity!
Will the snowflake melt in the Georgia sun?

5 Likes

That 121,000€ fine is very satisfying, until you realise that he literally makes this much in a week…

He said he hoped the fine – equivalent to half his disposable income over 14 days – would be spent usefully.

4 Likes

We don’t do bail bondsmen either. Bail is supposed to be affordable to the defendent, but big enough to act as a deterrant to break bail conditions.

It’s curious that extortionate bail in the USA hasn’t been struck down as a failure of due process, but has in Europe as far as I can see, despite the constitutional differences. I’m not bashing anyone here, just nerdy about constitutional matters in UK and USA.

I was looking forward to at least one court taking Trump at his word for being a billionare and requiring a multi million dollar bail. From what he says about his wealth, $200k is practically petty cash.

4 Likes

" federal magistrate on Thursday ordered disgraced FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried released on a $250 million personal recognizance bond"

this is a real bond, not small change

8 Likes

On the downside, he doesn’t even have to pay $200k. He only has to pay 10% of that up front to get a bond and remain out of prison during the trial.

On the upside, however, one of the conditions of his bail is that he cannot make any threatening remarks that may be considered to be directed at any witnesses or members of the jury. If he does, he forfeits the bond and must pay the full $200k immediately or go to prison for the remainder of the trial.

We all know he is physically incapable of not threatening everyone, so he’ll definitely have to cough up $200k. That will hurt, even for him. Most of his alleged wealth is fake or on paper in non-liquid instruments.

6 Likes

7wkbgx

11 Likes

Suppose he does (yeah, right suppose. It’ll happen) and he pays the $200K. What happens on the second instance? Jail? Another $200K?

3 Likes

They were never going to lock him in a holding cell… especially given how notorious that place is lately. That was not going to happen.

1 Like

I think, basically, no amount of bond means anything to him. He’s had no qualms about losing other people’s money. Even doing bail bonds, if he skips or wrecks it, the bondsperson facing death threats if they go after him? They might make more $$ down the road letting it slide in a very public manner. “Trump’s Bondsman!”

2 Likes

11 Likes

That’s like the normal persons equivalent of an expired Subway coupon.

3 Likes

That’s a good question, and I don’t know. I’m going based on what various articles are saying, and I’m definitely no expert on the US legal system. Presumably if conditions are violated sufficiently, bail is revoked entirely and he’s held in prison for the duration of the trial, but I don’t know what the bar for that is.

2 Likes