"Fundy baby voice"— Kelly Johnson, wife of House Speaker, and other evangelical women are trained to adopt childlike voices

Originally published at: Kelly Johnson's Toddler Voice: Nature or Evangelical Nurture?

4 Likes

32 Likes

I was referred to a book to explain this same phenomenon with the Duggar family. It’s called “Fascinating Womanhood,” and apparently has a hold on a certain subset of Christian family types. I read it, and it is truly horrific. In addition to the recommendations to be child-like, it advocates that woman should not work outside the home, not manage any money, and to excuse certain kinds of abuse and neglect. Husbands don’t need to gaslight their wives; this book will do it for them!

13 Likes

Harry Potter Neville GIF

15 Likes

Dear Dog do we need that puking emoji. :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

15 Likes

Note that this is what the bible recommends regardless of gender, but you don’t see entire books telling guys to act that way.

And it’s not even a good biblical interpretation anyway, “child-like” doesn’t refer to specific behavior between people, but rather an attitude about god and faith.

13 Likes

Maybe she’s just a really big Victoria Jackson fan? Which…still fits I suppose.

16 Likes

Wow! I just went and read the description on Amazon. It’s from the fundie POV. I salute you for being able to wade through it!

11 Likes

Fundy baby voice is the opposite of the Bene Gesserit voice.

26 Likes

oh sure, next you’re going to say “love your neighborhood” means treat everyone with respect, and not - checks notes - damn people for being themselves.

to be clear: the bible is the law, but only with select passages read in a way that supports a hateful worldview. just like the constitution!

( said mike johnson, probably. )

20 Likes

Ah Jesus Christ. Like it’s true about the fundie baby fetish, but honestly no matter what voice a woman has it is the wrong voice and a fake voice ime.

I spent most of my youth training my speaking voice to perch somewhere between vocal fry, too high (my low-effort tone is a little thin and high especially when nervous), and authoritative without accidentally hitting Elizabeth Holmes levels of false baritone only to be occasionally mocked on conference calls as the “girl with the dj voice.” There is no point at which I can vibrate my vocal chords without offending someone. This is not even touching what Black women’s voices get criticized for or Trans women.

I think ultimately the world would rather women just have their vocal chords removed at birth frankly.

I’m a mezzo with damned near a three octave range though not a great singer by any measure. From my perspective I dont have a “natural” voice but rather just communicate in three octaves of wrong.

30 Likes

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Titus Burgess GIF by NETFLIX

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

It does not matter what we do, some dude is gonna have a complaint…

17 Likes

Yep, unsurprisingly terrible.

5 Likes

“Fundy baby voice”?

5 Likes

I grew up with this one:

8 Likes

I’ve encountered that voice when working at a particular church, but since I tend to avoid fundies in general (and couldn’t imagine any aspect of a show like The Duggars appealing to me) I never connected it to that. Gives me the creeps even hearing a little of it.

13 Likes

The horror movie writes itself.

13 Likes

One of my Ph.D. program partners did her thesis on a similar topic. She discovered that there is a very strong correlation between mature women with a childlike voice and early sexual abuse. Not all the time, but a strong statistical correlation. She’s been published and her work can be Googled. I do not have permission so I will not link to it. She got a ton of pushback on it and her (successful) thesis defense was ah, “spirited” to put it mildly.

22 Likes

Hm. And I wonder how those correlated with fundamentalism?

8 Likes

Florence really went downhill after the Bradys had to let her go. :thinking:

5 Likes