SNL's State of the Union cold open perfectly captures what's wrong with Katie Britt

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/10/snls-state-of-the-union-cold-open-perfectly-captures-whats-wrong-with-katie-britt.html

6 Likes

That was classic. The only reason it won’t go down in the SNL Hall of Fame is that no one will remember Katie Britt 10 years from now.

20 Likes

This was good, but a much better sketch would have been all the women on the cast fighting to play Britt, highlander style, with Bowen Yang swooping in at the last minute to take it all, dressed as George Santos dressed as Britt…

19 Likes

ummmm… You’re absolutely correct – that would have been a superior sketch (maybe in addition to the one we got). Any other suggestions for that clunker of an episode? It had maybe two good sketches amidst all of the end-of-the-night third-rate material.

3 Likes

In addition to watching the great job Johansson did, I recommend reading the linked article if you haven’t already. This graf rang very true:

Many of these women also couldn’t keep it up at all times, and I saw lots of masks slip when these women spoke to their children. I remember staying the night with a friend and her mom dropping the voice at home. It can be a little creepy to watch the venom spewed at a child who has spilled his milk when his mother was dripping honey from her mouth just the instant before. It feels cold.

I can definitely see repressed people like this getting really mean and taking it out on the little powerless humans they see as their chattel.

14 Likes

It was very good. ScarJo nailed it with only about 48 hours to have it written and prepare. I think they could have leaned into the crazy/horror a bit more with a callback to the Totino’s Stepford wife, interrupting her speech to pull something out of the oven and toss it into the living room to animalistic feedings sounds of her “family”, perhaps coming back with some blood splatters on her face.

12 Likes

I mean we all saw that right? Right?

8 Likes

I’ve seen more charismatic hostage videos than the one delivered by Katie Britt.

3 Likes
5 Likes

What in the actual fuck? Is that a REAL thing? WTF?

Mad Tommy Wiseau GIF by The Room

9 Likes

I wasn’t sure at first.

But checking out some of their other pages, there’s no hint of sarcasm or Onion-esq comedy in there anywhere, it’s pretty dark all the way down. Talk of civil war, praise for the “Manosphere”, etc.

6 Likes

joanna lumley rage GIF

5 Likes

lucious lyon wtf GIF

5 Likes

UnHoly shit, that list basically boils down to “brain wash your wife into a submissive slave. To help you do this, find a mentor experienced in brain washing and hiding his abuse to guide you and a pre-brain washed woman to convince your slave this is totally normal and actually good for her.”

6 Likes

beeya

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.