Katie Britt's infomercial of fear

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/08/katie-britts-infomercial-of-fear.html

13 Likes

I bet she was in a kitchen for the convenience of her handlers. They knew they’d be told to deliver ketchup to Mar-a-Lago afterward.

20 Likes

It reminded me a lot of Bobby Jindal’s SotU response in 2009. He sounded like he was trying to explain astrophysics to a five-year-old audience. In that speech, he pretty much completely tanked his career. Good times. :slight_smile:

24 Likes

Ah, so it was what Ken Pope Hat White was writing about.

27 Likes

I like how she asked “are you better off than 3 years ago” For some reason they don’t want to remind you of covid. Or Jan 6th for that matter.

23 Likes

New theme park attraction.

13 Likes

I couldn’t watch the whole thing. Her delivery reminded me of SNL performers who exaggerate the falseness and insincerity of politicians in their performances. I’d say they could just play clips from this instead of casting someone to play her, but this may be too much cringe even for them.

19 Likes

From the President, a State of the Union Address from the Capital of our nation. From the GOP, a zoom call from someone’s kitchen. Is half-assing it trending?

12 Likes

literally speaking from the kitchen. a republican woman, in the goddamn kitchen.
there’s some messaging for ya, right there and it says way more than anything said in the speech itself.
[male senator, offscreen]:
“you done in there? make me a sandwich and grab me a beer.”
/S (sadly, i feel the actual snark is true, however)

28 Likes

They couldn’t wait for Halloween…

6 Likes

Same here. I was cringing at her over-dramatic “suburban Karen on the verge of tears” delivery. I know I wasn’t her target audience, but I feel sorry for anyone who is.

15 Likes

This was my favorite of the (freely admitted) cherry-picked facebook reactions (accumulated here)

This literally reminds me of if a Commander’s wife from the Handmaids Tale was forced to give a speech for the state

…such a strange speech cadence. like she was in some emotional zone where crying and laughing were equivalent. Notable that she and James Lankford (R-OK) (who the camera kept on for any reaction from him) wrote the republican immigration package which trump kiboshed for a hoped for political point of “everything is bad on the border”. That is Ms Britt is complaining about the state of affairs that she ostensibly worked to fix but was trumpblocked from doing so.

16 Likes

A subtle but clever response:

60a6621e7f5c49893fdbdb4f933189b86f56e921b44415ca36c559d3c923469b

28 Likes

Republican women in kitchens last night:

12 Likes

Animated GIF

11 Likes

Sure, she probably tanked her career, but at least when they finally film The Sally Struthers Story she’s a shoo-in for the part.

12 Likes

Obligatory

13 Likes

I got 1:23 into it (@1.5x speed) and had to stop. :face_vomiting:

8 Likes

I had to turn off the volume and turn on the subtitles, too painful. Sounded to me like she was trying very hard to suppress her Alabama accent.

The content of that speech was “blah, blah, blah, Republicans are racist monsters”. No policy proposals, just a bunch of whinging.

17 Likes

Couldn’t watch the whole thing. I’d write her off as a Stepford Wife but she’s got the Trumpy sniffing thing down. 0_o

stepford-wife

13 Likes