Fyre Festival documentary to air on Netflix in January

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/11/fyre-festival-documentary-to-a.html

This film looks like it will be a guilty pleasure to watch.

8 Likes

It’s well-known enough that people will tune in, but there’s lots of different ways this can go. Incisive examination of privilege and conspicuous consumption? Play it for laughs? Dry recitation of facts, left to speak for themselves? In any case, if it’s at all successful, the “based on a true story” theatrical feature will be next – featuring at least two contrived romantic sub-plots.

1 Like

A little amuse bouche for the “guillotine watch” crowd, I’m sure.

[yes, not every victim of this grift was a child of wealth and privilege. However, I’m sure that the vast majority who could afford $1500/day ticket plus airfare to and accommodation on the island were, so save the violins.]

Seems like a natural for a Blumhouse or Eli Roth horror movie, too.

2 Likes

You forgot the menton the white girls wearing indian headdresses at these sort of thing

There’s an “Escape Room” horror movie coming, so you’re probably right.

1 Like

My schadenfreude over Fyre Fest wasn’t about the ticket holders. Rich white kids or not, they got scammed and abandoned. I don’t feel overwhelming sympathy for them, but it doesn’t fill me with glee either.

What does fill me with glee is watching what has happened to Billy McFarland. My job sometimes involves me sitting in meetings and asking people who are very excited about their new project questions about whether they have really thought this through. It’s not uncommon to be told some variant of “You worry too much - everything will work out”. From news reports, it sounds like this was exactly what happened with Fyre Fest. Numerous people pointed out that there were serious logistical issues that hadn’t been dealt with, but those in charge waved it off. This was going to be awesome - it would all work out. Everyone needed to stop worrying.

YEAH, DID IT ALL WORK OUT BILLY?! ARE YOU HAVING FUN NOW?!

A great victory for the spoilsports of the world.

3 Likes

I disagree. This wasn’t some month long getaway, it was two weekends. $3000 is affordable if you save up for a year, in anticipation of the once in a lifetime experience everyone was promised. So you’re right, not everyone who was taken by this scam was a child of wealth and privilege.

“We’ll why didn’t they just take a cruise or go hike in a forest or thing-I-approve-of instead?”. Because they’re young, and inexperienced, and were lied to. Stop blaming the kids for this. Not even the rich ones. Blame Billy McFarland and Ja Rule instead.

1 Like

This sounds like something I will skip. Watching people get conned is no fun and if I want to see a story of incompetent overly ambitious fools I can just turn on the news.

Will the documentary actually air, or will Netflix hype it for a month and then force feed interested viewers 46 straight hours of Popeil Cap Snaffler Infomercial outtakes?

1 Like

It’s been done

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.