Fyre Festival founder blames everything but himself

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/25/fyre-festival-founder-blames-e.html

4 Likes

If he’s acquitted (and hey, he’s a white male with celebrity friends so why not?) a White House position awaits him.

12 Likes

10 Likes

The victims in this case are rich people. He is screwed.

13 Likes

He may not get off easily. He ripped off some seriously wealthy people to the tune of millions of dollars.

I don’t understand how he even has a lawyer, let alone lawyers plural. At the beginning of the trial, he was represented by a public defender. Now he has a team working to mitigate his conviction for mental health reasons?

And while he was awaiting his day in court, his bail was revoked because he continued conning people into giving him money for tickets to events. If I were the judge, I might accept that the guy has mental health issues, but that just means he just be in a different wing of Butner. He’s clearly an ongoing danger to people around him.

7 Likes

When your whole life and career are based on failing upward …

10 Likes

I mean… I have no trouble calling bullshit on 99-100% of these excuses, or thinking they shouldn’t get him out of much of his potential sentence, but what else are his attorneys supposed to say at his sentencing hearing? “Oh, yeah, our client is a total shitbag, judge. But we’re hoping you’ll just randomly decide on your own to be lenient without any input from us.”

What’s unusual here is that his crime was entertaining (if you weren’t there) and famous. But “Go easy on me, I was drunk/crazy/off my meds” probably shows up in half the sentencing-related motions that get filed after every conviction. It’s not even that hard to believe in this case, although that doesn’t oblige the judge to actually reduce the sentence.

4 Likes

I too would like to attribute every mistake I’ve ever made to being an idiot.

It’s not my fault.

10 Likes

I got the definite impression that he realized that accommodations and food were going to end up being a clusterfuck that resembled the advertisements not the slightest. But he seemed to think that like Woodstock, it would be an epic event nonetheless. He never seemed to realize that for that to happen, he’d actually have to get an epic number of bands to actually PLAY at the site.

5 Likes

What about all the other people involved who also fraudulently fucked things up? So much mental illness, so sad.

Wasn’t that essentially the “affluenza” defense, though?

7 Likes

Well, he should either go to prison for a long time. Or become President with that combination of ego maniacal behavior, mental illness, and hubris.

5 Likes

He’ll have plenty of time to work out his med levels in prison.

Is it considered malpractice to prescribe s soul-crushing service industry job? A poorly paid, intensively scrutinized, casually dehumanizing position would potentially cure him of beliefs in his special and unique talents, trajectory toward fame and fortune, keep him safely away from money and workplace distraction…

4 Likes

High profile cases can attract some decent pro bono representation, simply because it’s high profile. It’s entirely possible that a friend of the guy asked his own lawyers to ask around for some help, a firm found a couple of guys willing to see what they could do with a terrible case, and now he’s not completely naked.

2 Likes
7 Likes

I"m always baffled when explanations get conflated with excuses. Plenty of mentally ill addicts out there who manage not to commit crimes.

Edited to remove a sentence because I know what I"m trying to say but realize it’s coming out in a way that doesn’t sound right

5 Likes

This is fairly consistent with the diagnosis circulated at the time, which was “dick”.

1 Like

“It’s a reason, it’s not an excuse.”

1 Like

Affluenza

2 Likes

Feed the guy to Stephen Miller.
We’ve got to feed him someone, he’s getting cranky.

1 Like