QAnon Shaman's attorney says Capitol rioters are "people with brain damage"

Originally published at: QAnon Shaman's attorney says Capitol rioters are "people with brain damage" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Screaming Internally Star Trek GIF

48 Likes

It doesn’t actually sound like he is making a mental incompetence defense but just bloviating. Debating the truth of his statements is against forum rules. Regardless it is deeply insulting to anybody with any of the conditions he lists to suggest that having one of those conditions would cause you to be traitorous, not to mention that he does so using such insulting language. This guy is not demonstrating skill at lawyering or at decency.

45 Likes

43 Likes

If you know what you’re saying is disrespectful, then how about you just shut the hell up and not say it

55 Likes

He really said that, a lawyer said that, in public?

Was he the only lawyer who would take the case or something?

28 Likes

The ol’ racism is a mental illness tactic

22 Likes

Maybe he is hoping to get kicked off the case, and he felt that insulting people would be less damaging to his career than losing the case in court?

19 Likes

Douglas Adams on the way to make social use of this situation

Golgafrincham was a planet, once home to the Great Circling Poets of Arium. The descendants of these poets made up tales of impending doom about the planet. The tales varied; some said it was going to crash into the sun, or the moon was going to crash into the planet. Others said the planet was to be invaded by twelve-foot piranha bees and still others said it was in danger of being eaten by an enormous mutant star-goat. These tales of impending doom allowed the Golgafrinchans to rid themselves of an entire useless third of their population.The story was that they would build three Ark ships…

of course being Douglas Adams there had to be an eventual negative twist to this, but still it’s worth a try …?

11 Likes

Yeah? That never stopped the state of Texas from executions.

24 Likes

Right? This is like taking the “not” out of a statement that begins “I’m not a racist, but…”

18 Likes

1… 2… 3… Twinkie defense.

11 Likes

And is just curious how the Twinkie defense only applies for WASP guys.

10 Likes

34 Likes

He just can’t stop being wrong.

(IANAL, but if I had to guess I would guess that the most successful defence attorneys strictly limit their use of the word “fucking”.)

25 Likes

I’m expecting his opening argument to commence with, “Ladies and half-wits of the jury, I’ve got to hope that you are as stupid as you are fucking ugly.”

34 Likes

That’s a strange choice for the headline given the other phrases the attorney used. “People with brain damage” is not nearly as offensive or disrespectful to the disabled as the rest of what he said.

15 Likes

This, all by itself, even leaving aside his other equally shitty takes, is enough to earn him a thorough thrashing. I know a lot of folks “on the spectrum,” not a single one of then committed insurrection or assault, and to a person are more functional human beings that this walking sphincter. I cetainly agree with

Fuck, they were subjected to four-plus years of goddamn propaganda the likes of which the world has not seen since fucking Hitler.

But that does not excuse the actions of the assholes involved in this little “routine tourist visit” to our nation’s capitol.

36 Likes

This doesn’t make sense.

Ultra-conservative opinions on mental health, its care, and how it should figure into the legal system are oddly not on the side of all these ultra-conservative people.

It’s almost like… wealthy people being adamantly against helping the poor, yet screaming for help when they go bankrupt… or demanding unfettered religious freedom until it gets applies to another religion.

It’s almost like they want a system where rules are applied by decree on a case by case basis based on arbitrary favoritism and political cronyism.

Oh wait, yeah, it’s a lot like a totalitarian fascist state. Yeah, never mind, it actually does make sense.

31 Likes

43 Likes