Fyre festival organizers hit with $100 million fraud and breach of contract lawsuit

That’s true in most Disney properties and Disney Cruise Line as well. Doesn’t mean I don’t bring some cash for emergencies.

Besides, you think the Sandals down the way didn’t have an ATM?

Yes, it’d suck to have to trudge down there, and wait in line or whatever, and deal with limited resources. And, for those who were put in actual peril, I sympathize. But that wasn’t the majority, by far, by all accounts.

2 Likes

I’m sorry. I can’t get into the minds of the people involved.

At one point, I was sort of willing to accept that 12 grand (or whatever the hell it was) was “in line” with what Coachella was charging for “Luxury”, “Privacy”, and “Security”-- But It’s really hard to sustain the empathy.for people who clearly live in a world orthogonal to my own lived experience.

The legal complaint seems to exaggerate quite a bit. Maybe the promotor is, at best, semi competent. Maybe he’s a confidence trickster through and through. But all the stuff about wild animals, being imprisoned at the airport etc seems to be trying to make mountains out of molehills-- molehills that the defendants had very little part in.

It might be tough to find a judge willing to hyper-compensate these silly people for their pain and suffering when they probably should be kept sequestered in a comfy country club away from the real world.

What’s your source for this?

I was in this very area only two years ago. The population of Great Exuma is small. The area around the Sandals Resort is sparsely populated indeed. In fact, the Fyre Festival site was (and apparently still is) an undeveloped resort community with a few roads and little else. (Unfinished developments are extremely common in the Bahamas. Apparently it’s difficult & expensive to see projects through on these little islands – who would have guessed?)

I didn’t meet everyone on the island, of course, but every local I encountered was friendly & welcoming. Tourism is the primary industry here, and Bahamian culture is conservative and family-centric. Locals need and want tourists to enjoy themselves, and have low tolerance for criminal activity that drives away the visitors.

I don’t disagree that the locals weren’t attempting violence (triple negative there, whoa), but I do doubt the extent of petty thievery you’re relating. Yeah, probably a handful of people got robbed – just like at any big event, even those that aren’t disasters like Fyre.

No. The Family Island Regatta is a regatta of sailboats & fishing boats (not yachts) that’s run out of George Town (not Sandals) & is in fact a sporting event celebrating Bahamian boatbuilding and sailing skill. It’s a HUGE deal for Bahamians. I can guarantee that most of the people on Exuma (and elsewhere) were watching or participating in this regatta, not robbing a club kid’s tent.

Actually, scheduling the Fyre Festival during the same week as Family Island Regatta was yet another blunder by the Festival’s organizers.

7 Likes

Naturally. Even Burning Man isn’t a good reflection of what it used to be. Sad i never had a chance to go before all the Silicon Valley/Instagrammer yuppies took it over.

Your lack of empathy is appalling.

Sorry, fresh out. I deal with enough people who have real problems.

On a side note, I don’t see why your comment was flagged.

Are “rich” people a myth? Like “climate change”?

Rich people’s analysis of class conflict: “They’re just jealous”?

“Poor people are just jealous. They should try stop being poor.”

“Rich people deserve to be victims of crime because they can afford it. If they didn’t want to be scammed they shouldn’t have been rich.”

Looks to me like dehumanization and victim blaming can go both ways. And neither way is productive.

9 Likes

Am I rich now?
What is rich?
Is anyone who can afford a vacation rich?
Please, educate me.

@Slartibartfast to be totally clear I dont mean poor people are jealous I meant the people here on this board because I can find no other reason for the lack of empathy. :wink:

7 Likes

@Missy_Pants, I didn’t mean to imply that I was replying to you. I think your cruise analogy is spot on and I’ve known many middle-class people who’ve taken them

They were generalized statements directed at no one in particular because I am also appalled at the lack of empathy here.

6 Likes

You and @Missy_Pants seem to be saying the same thing.

Where is the dividing line where someone is rich enough where we can hate on them? How about where they’re poor enough where we can hate on them?

The answer: if they’re as rich as the people you grew up next to who always had more and better stuff than you, or if they’re as poor as the people you grew up next to whose stuff wasn’t quite as good as yours.

2 Likes

The way i was looking at it had less to do with economic status but social status or appearance. The vapid instagram type crowd getting stranded out there does elicit some level of schadenfreude from me, at least as a knee jerk reaction. However considering everything that happened and what people went through i can’t say that i would wish that on anyone and i hope the organizers are held accountable.

4 Likes

Same, but only until I realize that “vapid” is a stand-in for “interested in things less boring than my interests” and “Instagram type” is a stand-in for “enjoying life and not thoroughly beaten down by it”.

2 Likes

What is this “enjoying life” you speak of?

It sounds awful.

5 Likes

I think when he’s talking about the “vapid instagram type crowd” he’s talking about this kind of thing:

https://www.instagram.com/richkidsofinstagram/?hl=en

2 Likes

If Kendall Jenner told you to jump off a bridge, would you do it? Marketers know the answer is yes.

2 Likes

Those are just a stereotype as well. We automatically assume that the people going to the Fyre Festival were the Rich Kids Of Instagram, and not those who aspire to be them, or, more likely, those who aspire to be those who aspire to be the RKOI.

1 Like

I’m not making that assumption. A significant part of that high ticket price could be charged because Ja Rule and the other grifters were confident that their attendees would buy into the vapid RKOI lifestyle and aspire to be a part of it, even for just a couple of days. If I’ve been reading correctly, the event was marketed based on “influencers” from that very crowd spreading the word.

Whether they’re part of the 0.1% that actually has that empty ultra-consumerist fame-whore lifestyle or part of the 10% that aspires to it and has the disposable income to try and buy a taste they’re all part of @Grey_Devil’s “vapid Instagram type crowd.”

1 Like

If that’s the case, wouldn’t they still be victims of the upper 0.1%? The middle class aspire to be wealthy as well. Is it okay for me to hate people who grew up middle class?

4 Likes