Gab hacked -- 70 GB of passwords, private posts taken, says transparency group DDoSecrets

Originally published at: Gab hacked — 70 GB of passwords, private posts taken, says transparency group DDoSecrets | Boing Boing

6 Likes

We can only presume the reporters, who write for a publication that has written many hit pieces on Gab in the past, are in direct contact with the hacker and are essentially assisting the hacker in his efforts to smear our business and hurt you, our users.

“We acknowledge that we have no evidence of who did this; therefore, despite not knowing anything or having any empirical reason to blame anyone, we therefore blame the reporters for the hack”

38 Likes

“Release the Cracken!”

FlyMyPretties

14 Likes

“mentally ill tranny demon hacker”

Torba sounds like just the kind of level-headed, responsible IT professional anyone would want to entrust with their sensitive and potentially embarrassing data.

60 Likes

I still believe that there are more good people in the world than bad. Thank the internet for the white hats out there keeping the “series of tubes” that run the world creative, open, safe, and weird!

15 Likes

“My account and Trump’s account were compromised”

Except, of course, that “Trump’s” account is also his account. Kind of weird for him to stick that in his statement, when Trump famously has never used the service and the “Trump” account was made by Torba. Trying to get the Trumpers whipped up into a murderous mob against the hackers, I guess…

31 Likes

It totes sounds like the CEO of a platform committed to free speech for all, who for both ideological and commercial reasons is anxious not to scare away LGBT users.

19 Likes

It seems like the internet is a terrible place to hide if you are a fascist.

24 Likes

Yeah, that statement alone would play well in a potential future defamation suit.

17 Likes

The statement sounds analogous to response to coverage of the insurrection. “What you say happened never happened, and even though it never happened, it’s your fault.”

21 Likes

Reported that tweet.

He needs to stay on Gab.

10 Likes

Seems more like
“We were notified of a hack by a reporter. Despite dilgent searches of internet rumors, we found no evidence of a hack. Further searching of our own information or network is unnecessary. We blame the reporter who notified us for stealing Gab’s information through a hack that did not occur.”

15 Likes

19 Likes

22 Likes

The way I read that, he’s blaming the reporters for making up a hack that didn’t happen.

7 Likes

And then immediately follows it up with a “we also discovered a security vulnerability that we fixed”, like that was a totally unrelated thing.

18 Likes

Now, on technical questions… Gab isn’t based on Mastodon code? I remember a time where almost all Mastodon instances where blocking Gab (I believe that Gab was the reason Mastodon implemented filtering on federation AFAIK)

4 Likes

From what I’m reading, they took the Mastodon code and heavily modified it, including outright removing large chunks of security related code. There’s a tweet somewhere out there showing a change log where they removed an entire function to check account validity and replaced it with ‘return()’, but in true modern algorithm-driven internet fuckery form, I can’t seem to find it again to link it. They do have a public git repo though, and people are reporting they’re basically removing any SQL they find. I’m sure that will have no unintended consequences…

15 Likes

Russian hosted Neo-Nazi chat site got hacked. Neener, neener, neener.

11 Likes

This would work too

9 Likes