Gab hacked -- 70 GB of passwords, private posts taken, says transparency group DDoSecrets

Obviously a coincidence, which coincidentally lost 70gb of user data. Gosh I’m sick of all the fake news in the msm, aren’t you?

6 Likes

Fully agree. Here’s Stephen Jay Gould breaking down why that is, way back in 2001, shortly after the famous terrorist attacks.

The patterns of human history mix decency and depravity in equal measure. We often assume, therefore, that such a fine balance of results must emerge from societies made of decent and depraved people in equal numbers.

But we need to expose and celebrate the fallacy of this conclusion so that, in this moment of crisis, we may reaffirm an essential truth too easily forgotten, and regain some crucial comfort too readily forgone.

Good and kind people outnumber all others by thousands to one. The tragedy of human history lies in the enormous potential for destruction in rare acts of evil, not in the high frequency of evil people. Complex systems can only be built step by step, whereas destruction requires but an instant.

https://www.seattlepi.com/local/opinion/article/Apple-brown-bettys-into-the-breach-1067052.php

13 Likes

Convenience is inversely proportional to security.

Professionals and amateurs glean different operational implications from that. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you for that link, that is a great story.

2 Likes

Even without Russian involvement with incitement of US terrorists and traitors, I peg the hack on any one of the US security agencies, if not one our allies’ organizations. Or it could be simply a stout young fellow chugging Hyde Extremes and noshing on 7-Eleven Dorito’s Loaded.

1 Like

Absolute shithole slurs aside, I can’t even parse this. Is the hacker supposed to be a mentally ill transgender demon? Is this a hacker of afflicted supernatural transgender? This is literally just hateful word soup.

(Note: edited to remove unintentionally offensive word choice. Unfortunately, one of the limitations of being an outside party to a particular group, and honestly not always being up to date on acceptable terminology. This may cause replies to this comment to not make sense to those reading things later.).

7 Likes

Start with password “TRUMP2020” and go from there.

8 Likes

I was thinking “Hmm, maybe I’ll take a poke at that data when it’s available” and then “70 GIGGABYTES?!”

Hopefully they’ll have a version without the bulky binaries.

2 Likes

Frustrated Contrabassoon player preparing to destroy his instrument?

3 Likes

They printed out the data, and faxed the pages to an automated OCR server.

6 Likes

Obligatorydownload

2 Likes

Especially if you have really bad opsec and collect loads of information on your users.

2 Likes

skip

9 Likes

didn’t parler collect drivers licenses?

2 Likes

Facebook started that.

A massive windfall for identity thieves, but luckily these sites never have data breaches. /s

7 Likes

Wikipedia has a whole article about that:

1 Like

The words we use matter. You’re using one that is offensive to trans folks. It might be better than the one used in the offensive Tweet, but it is an archaic term that the trans community has distanced themselves from for decades.

I realize you may not have known that; I just found out recently myself.

10 Likes

It was clear enough to me that no offense was intended; it did condemn the quote as “hateful word salad” (which is true.)

But word choice does matter. “Transsexual” and “transgender” aren’t the same thing, and there are members of the LGBTQ+ community who object to the first term.

I don’t want to call anyone out; I’d just like to give a gentle reminder to be respectful and considerate of our word choices, so everyone will be welcome here.

hill street blues lets be careful out there opti

12 Likes

I was not aware how offensive it is, and have been duly schooled. My apologies to all.

7 Likes

Huh, I wonder if there is a torrent out there of this … for science.

2 Likes