Gain extra storage space with the HyperDrive MacBook storage expander

[Read the post]

Store more on your Mac without making a scene…

Making a scene? Storing data on a Mac makes a scene? I notice nobody is willing to admit responsibility for writing this ad copy.

1 Like

The copy is all written by StackSocial. Here’s the exact same ad on another site.

What I want to know is what they mean by “without spending major cash on cloud storage.”

A microSD card costs about 45-70¢ per GB. DropBox gives you 1000GB for $100/year, so 10¢ per GB/year. So you could keep 1TB of data on Dropbox for 5-7 years before it costs as much as buying the SD Cards, and you would have had cloud storage all that time.

1 Like

Shut up. See those words “major cash?” You’re supposed to get upset, spreadsheet boy!

1 Like

Did Apple so totally mis-implement the SD card slot that this product is even needed?

I thought the standard was to have the card fully insert, with a spring-loaded ejector.

1 Like

You would have cloud storage all the time you are connected. And at the speed of your connection. Doesn’t work so great with large files like raw photos. If you are counting on cellular for this always-connected state the size of those transfers will also start to drive the price per MB up.

2 Likes

Plenty of reasons to use local drives vs cloud storage and visa versa. But I was saying that advertising this because cloud storage costs too much didn’t make much sense.

2 Likes

Ah, I see what you are saying.

1 Like

Twenty bucks for a microSD-to-SD adapter? You get one for free with a microSD card, so I guess you’re paying for the bezel that fully blocks the hole. The Macbook connects this internally via a pokey USB 2.0 interface at 480 Mbits/sec, so the “95 MBytes/sec” claim is false. If your Macbook has a USB 3.0 port, you’d get much better performance with a low-profile USB 3.0 drive like a Sandisk Ultra Fit, and the cost per bit is considerably less than SD.

3 Likes

Must say that every laptop in the house (all non-apple) have similar dimension SD slots to the Apple one, in that SD cards stick out of the side by a fair bit. So i don’t think it’s part of any standard.

This adaptor looks to be approx half the length of a standard SD-microSD adaptor.

1 Like

I wonder if they’re being sneaky with that 95MB/sec card claim. After all, 95MB/sec cards will work in this adaptor (though certainly not at full speed if the slot is USB2.0)

1 Like

How many GT/s is usb 3.0?

1 Like

USB 3.0 is specd to run at 5 Gbit/s, but the GT/s I don’t know. I’ll have to look at the protocol to calculate overhead.

In anycase, it rarely even achieves 5Gbit/s speeds. A lot of the 1st and 2nd gen motherboards with USB 3.0 at best get half that rate.

2 Likes

The sdcard reader in my imac-- no, I am not the target market-- is specced at 2.5T/s. Worse then full fledged USB 3.0, but then I have a bunch of other things on that bus.

In some macbooks, the card reader is hooked up through usb 2.0. In others, it may be independent-- or hanging off a USB 3.0 bus. But I haven’t owned a laptop since my iBook G3. So the ins and outs of various models escapes me.

The advantage of a cut down sdcard is that it doesn’t take up a USB socket. But this may be as foolhardy as using USB 2.0 sticks for ReadyBoost.

2 Likes

True. And from what I saw, at least on the Wiki, the reason for the slow USB 3.0 was because it was living on a PCI Express 2.0 bus in those crap implementations. It does better on PCI Express 3.0 and up.

1 Like

Must say that I’ve never had a laptop or device that didn’t use a full insertion push to eject SD card slot, and I think the first device was a Handera 330 back in 2001.

2 Likes

Wow, someone else who remembers Handera. Welcome, stranger. (I know you’ve been around a long time, actually.)

I had one of those beasts, with PalmOS and a CF slot.

1 Like

Must depend on the device i guess.

The only devices in the household with flush spring-loaded SD slots are actual cameras.

For fixed slots where a SD card will stick out, we have 2x HP laptops, a lenovo laptop, a Zotac mini-PC, my dell monitor and two drive-bay cardreaders in different desktop PCs.

The spring is something that breaks. Unless the form factor requires it, it may be best avoided.

I won’t have a foul-mouthed cyborg in charge of this vessel while we’re gone.