Gallery of "weird" images taken on Mars

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/18/gallery-of-weird-images-ta.html

5 Likes

It’s never inappropriate to remind people of this wonderfully-psychedelic bit of pop:

7 Likes

19 Likes

A rock that looks like a squirrel is still just a rock.

4 Likes

Unless…

11 Likes

Plus it completely ignores all of the squirrels that look like rocks.

2 Likes

TLDR: Rocks. All rocks. Except for the plastic waste we’ve already infected the planet with somehow…

Also included on the gallery the amazing rock that looks like a rock.

1 Like

I can only see the photo of some rocks with a red oval drawn around some random rock, which looks like a rock.
What we have here is a clear case of apophenia:
“Apophenia is the experience of seeing patterns or connections in random or meaningless data.”

2 Likes

Squirrel? All I see is a roadkilled platypus.

2 Likes

Two different instances of round rocks in those pictures. On earth, rocks like those are frequently the result of flowing water.

Since mars has a mostly geologically dead (1) surface I’d expect that many of the rounded rocks have been sandblasted by the wind over the past billion years or so. You see a lot of wind-eroded rocks in the Australian desert.

1. Meteor impacts do a decent job of smashing the surface and throwing rocks around, else everything would be nice and smooth.
2 Likes

The Man in the Mars is literally the picture for the definition. Actually a really fascinating phenomenon, says a lot about how illogically our brains work for our current situation.

5 Likes

Earth squirrels are kind of pests. They bury a lot of peanuts in my garden’s raised beds. I don’t how they get soooooo many peanuts, but they get them.

Martian squirrels are probably equally annoying, and I have NO idea where they get their peanuts from.

1 Like

I see what looks like Pacman

Mimas, the death star moon in orbit around Saturn, looks like Pacman in certain wavelengths

The Sandpeople are easily startled, but they’ll soon be back, and in greater numbers.

3 Likes

Or possibly chasing a mars bunny

1 Like

Death Star and PacMan…take that you rebel scum !!!

Maybe you have all lost your sense of wonder but I for one find it fascinating that the surface if Mars is inexplicably littered with big red ovals.

2 Likes