Game show contestant objects to defeat

Originally published at: Game show contestant objects to defeat | Boing Boing

7 Likes

This person has a bright future in american politics

28 Likes

giphy

16 Likes

Hard to believe that they do their game shows live. They must have decided to air this for the ratings boost. That fellow’s headed for his moment of fame.

4 Likes

The word ‘BEINT’ at the top of the screen translates to “direct” so I guess it was live.

8 Likes

I participated in many a Scholar’s Bowl contests, and remember a couple cringy objections, but nothing like that.

5 Likes

The viking is strong in that one

6 Likes

My 1st thought was “USA exchange student?” but it does make one wonder what led up to this moment. If his buzzer/clicker whatever wasn’t allowing him to buzz in repeatedly I can see it being frustrating, and being broadcast live might impede him from being able to complain about it without calling the whole proceeding to a halt in some way. Still, not cool, dude.

3 Likes

The United States doesn’t elect former game show contestants who can’t handle defeat. The United States elects former game show HOSTS who can’t handle defeat.

23 Likes

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

7 Likes

15 Likes

minor eric andre show vibes

the act of destroying a live television set tickles some weird part in my brain

2 Likes

Sure, the writing below the station ID says “Direct”/“Live” and it totally makes sense to run this live - it’s cheap enough to produce live and it’s way more interesting to watch it live than some cut up, aged recording. Note that unlike in the US, game shows do not run daily on RUV and there’s loads of other programmes going out live.

There’s less risk for the broadcaster, too: In Iceland / Europe in general there’s no FCC rules or people monitoring swearing on TV. So yes, this ran live. Too bad that in the US most game shows no longer run live - they would be a lot more fun to watch because people behave differently on TV if they know there’s no safety net.

BTW, I checked the RUV website and the version on demand is missing the scene.

Watch it at www.ruv.is/sjonvarp/spila/gettu-betur/30942/972nv3

Note that this is the only on-demand episode that doesn’t have the “BEINT” next to the logo, indicating that they cut it later.

The other episodes are presented as broadcast and may contain an ad that you could not run on US broadcast TV…

5 Likes

Insert Donald Trump joke here. Except that he didn’t have the grace to leave the stage.

1 Like

I really enjoy the hosts immediate reaction. I think I need to gif this. It’s much more impressive than the trantrum.

Which, by the way, totally could have been me at that age.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.