Game warden fires a perfect shot to rescue two deer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/13/game-warden-fires-a-perfect-shot-to-rescue-two-deer.html

4 Likes

That’s pretty cool, and a good save.

13 Likes

Tangled Bucks in Blue?

Anyway, this seems to be not-uncommon-- “We have had several of our game wardens shoot the antlers to break them apart when they can’t free themselves.”

14 Likes

They’re getting craftier.

Police in Czechoslovakia are asking the public to be on the lookout for a deer carrying a rifle – which the animal inadvertently stole from a hunter.

16 Likes

Stupid deer. Those fights are supposed to be symbolic, duh you guys.

This is why we can’t have nice antlers.

13 Likes
6 Likes

Ae they sure about the “inadvertent” part? They are pretty crafty wild animals!

6 Likes

I’m thinking “inadvertent” might be too much of a republican trope these days.
Let’s say accidental.
Or malicious.
They seem to mean the same thing. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I live around a lot of deer, here in Central Texas. Tons of [live] deer.

What I saw in the video was testosterone-crazed big mammals literally locked in combat.

Metaphor…

3 Likes

Wow. That was a good shot.

To anyone concerned, deer shed and grow back their antlers every year.

Central Texas deer are scrawny compared to Kansas white tail, and mule deer.

Are you near Flatonia?

7 Likes

And with a handgun no less. Unless you’re Mel Gibson, in which case you can hit a man between the eyes at 300 yards with a snubbie, that was an amazing shot. I can barely hit a refrigerator at ten feet …

12 Likes

41Q35Hkj+0L.AC_SX425

8 Likes

5 Likes

God he was is brilliant.

4 Likes

Our deer are undersized, undernourished, inbred, have to deal with a lot of sudden and ongoing habitat loss due to commercial land development: new subdivisions, wholesale clearcutting (scalp the land to the bone, right down to the Edwards Plateau limestone, etc.), then put in a gazillion houses, top the scraped land with Red Death in which nothing will grow, slap a few rolls of St. Augustine sod on it, and plant one small tree in the putative front yard. Water the crap out of it from the aquifer, which is over-allocated and under severe drought stresses already.

Yeah, our Texas deer in Central Texas are puny. And not that healthy either.

Between Wimberley, Drippin’ and ATX. Not really near an official “town.”

7 Likes

For awhile there it was a good metaphor for the current state of Republicans.

2 Likes

Nice country out that way. The Hill Country is my favorite part of Texas, & it always sickens me to hear about a former ranch being ‘developed’.
I don’t think much of Texas was ever meant to be lived in, much less farmed; especially not West Texas & the Panhandle. If it has to be irrigated, then it doesn’t belong & I say that as the descendent of cotton farmers from the area. Good to see the Wind Farms sprouting up out there, though.

3 Likes

Ok, so you are south and west of Austin, my ancestors settled south and east of Austin in the last 1800s in small Czech communities. My grandparents kept the family farm for years, but live in Austin. Eventually sold it off when they were too old to really care for it any more. Spent several summers in the fire ant infested hell, but I did find some nice petrified wood samples!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.