Gamer star PewDiePie canned by Disney and YouTube after anti-semitic postings

It’s like how if you try to parody performance art you just end up with more performance art.

It doesn’t matter how much “Irony” you try to claim at the end of the day you are acting like a fucking racist asshole.

Kurt Vonnegut in Mother Night said it best: “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

26 Likes

Wow. My question is, how did he manage to make it this far without doing something else quite so monumentally stupid?

No, he managed to get as far as he is only because he is so monumentally stupid. Just look at his inane videos … It is also not the first scandal he is involved in.

Only this time he went a step too far and is quickly walking it back because that nonsense actually costs him a ton of money. It could cost him also his entire income stream should Youtube can him completely (it probably won’t, though - bottom line always prevails).

Spoiled kid who got rich quickly and thinks that if you have money everything is okay. There have been quite a few high profile idiots like that recently, destroying lives of others “just for lulz” or for “jolly good time”, to quote two of them.

15 Likes

Bros gonna fash.

But of course he isn’t racist! No, he is ironic! He is making fun of racists!

Sure.

6 Likes

I don’t watch his content at all, never have, so i don’t know where he’s coming from at all. Maybe he was trying to be inappropriate on purpose during the multiple times he’s brought it up. It’s sort of like juvenile, ignorant humor. In my younger years i know i cracked pretty inappropriate jokes to get reactions out of people and i’m definitely not racist, or misogynist, etc. but i’ve grown to know better. I’m still a fan of inappropriate humor but i’m more aware of what i should not be saying and who i’m talking to.

Maybe, just maybe, this is what Pewdiepie is going through. He doesn’t strike me as someone that’s racist, but i could be wrong. Still, this reads to me as typical internet shit posting type of humor.

5 Likes

I think society builds idiots like this up just so we can take the perverse pleasure of tearing them back down again.

3 Likes

His ‘explanation’ for his anti-semitic videos:
“What I just think — and I believe strongly in — is that it is 2017 now.”

Don’t tell me that PewDiePie doesn’t have strong beliefs! He definitely believes that it’s 2017.

He continues:
"Is a joke actually pure racism?"
Well, Felix, when your idea of a joke is just… er… racism, I guess it’s hard to be objective.

22 Likes

Never watched him.
Never liked his name.
Too cute by half.

5 Likes

I might argue you’re a WORSE loser than a racist, because you’re pathetic enough to ape a racist just to get attention.

6 Likes

Disney may renounce him, but it’s going to take some time before their ad bots back off…

11 Likes

Yeah, honestly, the whole thing was just horrible taste. I mean, even if he just had them put on a funny hat or something. It smacks of elitists hiring “fools” to perform for them for a pittance.

It doesn’t have to be “pure racism” to be racist.

Leave comedy to the pros. I really do appreciate comedy pushing boundaries including jokes that make one uncomfortable, and dark humor. But those things require a very narrow context and use, and generally are used to make a bigger point.

It looks like his problem is he thinks this is somehow in the past. But there are people actively wishing death to Jews.

7 Likes

Not how I read it. “It’s 2017 now, doesn’t that mean that Jew-baiting and Jew-killing will be legalized again soon?”

12 Likes

Exactly, I’m all for lack of self-censorship with comedy, and there’s ways that edge-pushing dark humor can play with expectations to make you gasp, laugh, and think. But if you’re a guy with a plush Disney contract, you don’t make Hitler and death-to-Jews jokes unless you’re actively trying to destroy your career. Disney, Felix. Disney.

16 Likes

Oohh, how “edgy.”

4 Likes

And that’s just one layer of this particular shit sandwich. There’s also the one step above bum fights level of exploitation.

8 Likes

It’s not the time, it’s the noisy signal. People who consider their words before speaking aren’t wasting my time. It’s that our culture has inculcated such atrocious manners that people are conditioned to continue making noises even while they’re deciding what to say lest they be interrupted. As a culture, we unfortunately place a much higher value on speaking than listening, and thus are socialized to interrupt one another’s momentary pauses of consideration with our own bloviations. Individually one might prefer listening and good conversational manners. But unless individuals recognize that they’ve internalized a lifetime of living in a noisy culture, they cannot train themselves to increase their own signal-to-noise ratio. Ergo, the proliferation of obnoxious filler noises into every last gap of silence.

7 Likes

I don’t know what he’s so upset about; it was just a parody firing.

19 Likes

Did this have anything to do with ethics in games journalism… Or am I confusing him with someone else?

2 Likes

I’m goring to argue that filler words are more the result of language and the human brain than rude culture.

6 Likes

Kind of.

Probably.

5 Likes

I was under the impression this guy made rape jokes every minute of the day… what the hell was his contract with Disney for?

Damn it! I really wanted to take that survey!

12 Likes