Gamer star PewDiePie canned by Disney and YouTube after anti-semitic postings

There’s already more than enough to criticize him for. You don’t need to float speculation about his psyche. When a guy steals your wallet you don’t mentally wander off into thinking he’s a calfskin enthusiast, he’s just some asshole who stole your wallet.

1 Like

This much we do agree on. I’m ok with him losing his revenue stream just because he’s a jerk, but that hasn’t stopped people like Rush Limbaugh or Howard Stern. And if he looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s not name-calling to call him a duck. It’s what he is.

5 Likes

I hate to belabor the point, but calling him a duck doesn’t do anything to convince anyone there’s anything wrong with being a duck. You have to point out that ducks are rapists whose crazy corkscrew genitals are the result of millions of years of evolution, none of which revolved around consent.

Are we OT enough yet?

1 Like

Do offensive, racist jokes, get called a nazi.

Get called a nazi, your corporate sponsors notice.

Your sponsors notice, they pull your funding.

They pull your funding, and you’re a poor, sad clown.

Therefore, telling offensive, racist jokes makes you a poor, sad clown.

What step should have been skipped in this lesson? If anyone can relate to a multimillionaire YouTube star in the first place, I don’t really think that calling him an antisemite undercuts the lesson at all.

9 Likes

7 Likes

4 Likes

And yet… here you are, telling us what we should and shouldn’t say.

16 Likes

But wouldn’t lot’s of these assholes be way too young for Beavis and Butthead? I mean, I was a teen when it was on TV, so they were infants or not born yet.

4 Likes

But, I get your point. Calling Trump a nazi is counterproductive because it shuts down further discussion, doesn’t really help convince his supporters, and there are so many other rich veins of failure about which to criticize him . However what this guy did was hate speech because it was, so not criticizing him for it is ignoring the very thing that he did wrong. And the fact that he’s claiming that it was just a joke makes it even worse.

Besides, it doesn’t matter what you or I think what Pewdiepie is or isn’t. What matters most is what the corporations who paid him all those millions think, and they think that it’s time they stopped.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.