Gamergate's color scheme is a rape joke

Well, I can’t control your thoughts, so you will think what you are going to think.

I only picked that example because it was your example. But I don’t think there is any “bringing gamergate back on track.”

First of all, because (on that point we agree to disagree on) I’m pretty sure the on-track is being-a-smokescreen-for-harassing-women.

Secondly, because the Onions’ ClickHole site had a joke article about being terrified of gamergate. Major news media have been discussing the harassment of women online recently. This has gotten way out of the sphere of games media into general content mass media where the people who support gamergate have no influence. “Gamers” are getting a worse name now than they had in the 80s when the worst thing anyone said about them is that they were losers - now they are a hate group! Forget gamergate, I’m worried I’m going to have to start saying, “Sure, I like video games, but I don’t hate women! Please believe me!”

And third, even if I accept that gamergate is actually about ethics in games journalism, that just is not a powerful enough force to get people to rally behind it. Obamacare got back on track because national health care is an important issue. There will never be enough people who care enough about ethics in games journalism to reclaim the space from the hate-machine.

Yeah, but I do now. That’s a reference. And if it was a racist, misogynistic or otherwise hateful reference then I’d be spreading the word to let people know to stop using it.

6 Likes

Well, yes. Here: http://topsy.com/analytics?q1=%23gamergate&q2=%40quinnspiracy&q3=%40femfreq&via=Topsy take the analytics of the hashtag- and enter any number of names, accounts or associations that you think are most related with gamergate and see the difference in context to the hashtag. (Brianna Wu, @femfreq, etc.) adding retweets to the stats makes it more interesting!

And so what if I joined today? What’s wrong with that? I haven’t been insulting or rude to anyone- just stating my opinion as you, and everyone else here… and I think I should be allowed to do so. Your condescending attitude doesn’t add or further any discourse

I wonder if you see how you only speak to disagree in this conversation. Not a single validating statement. You might not have a bias, but i would assume you do. You might consider it.

The person you’re speaking with is intermittently agreeing with you. In my opinion this is a mark of Humb’s manners, not the superiority of your opinions, and it is a characteristic behavior absent almost entirely from the GG crowd. I have yet to see a seemingly pro-GGer say one nice thing about any one thing anyone they disagree with might say. Not one inch given. That isn’t irrelevant when it comes to who is looking for solutions.

I don’t think I am seeing it -in- black and white. I think it -is- black and white to those offended by the negative light the scandal has brought to the attitudes of shallow young men. I think it is so because that POV is immature to violent, with occasional individuals who rise above it, and it is generally not ready for prime time. It belongs in the sewers of *chan, and gaming journalism is better off for it.

2 Likes

Why aren’t all GamerGaters banning together and speaking out against the harassment, and condemning the individuals who are committing it? If the actions truly don’t represent the group and the group is opposed to them, then the group should be the MOST vocal about condemning such actions, and make it very clear to the world that such actions are not representative and won’t be tolerated.

All I’ve heard is lots of justifications…lots of false flag arguments…lots of deflecting. In my mind this doesn’t support the assertion that this is a fringe hijacking of a movement, defense is a type of support… imho.

i agree. that’s how i read it. defense is a type of support…

4 Likes

I almost included that reference! Exactly correct!

1 Like

On Topsy:

4 Likes

Here: http://topsy.com/analytics?q1=%23gamergate&q2=%40quinnspiracy&q3=brianna%20wu&via=Topsy you can adjust the search to include quinnspiracy, femfreq, etc. and http://weare3.net/2014/10/while-the-media-slanders-gamers-as-terrorists-gamergate-is-hunting-trolls-and-abusers/

How does telling other people what they think of your behavior -usually- work out for you?

3 Likes

For once I agree with you lol

3 Likes

Except the #GamerGate tag was first posted on the 27th, and at that time had nothing to do with those articles at all.

4 Likes

I think you have a reasonable outlook. Personally I find context to be the most important thing, as it often dictates both the meaning and reaction of something.

Personally I have a fantasy about eventually reclaiming the Swastika from the Nazis. It is one of the oldest, most ancient symbols used by many, many cultures independently. Two of the more notable uses that I enjoy finding examples is Native American art and Art Deco motifs. I know the Navaho and other tribes signed declarations to no longer use the design in their art when the Nazi menace became clear. I’ve seen examples of Swastikas in things like floor tiles, and this one really nice set of leather bound Rupert Kipling books with the title pages outlines in a swastika design. When my grandpa died I found a screw driver made in Missouri with a swastika on it.

Eventually I’d like to see this symbol of hate reclaimed by the rest of humanity.

4 Likes

I’m sure you are used to character based attacks like “smart ass”. Nobody has done that here, to you.

I am only drawing attention to the consistency of your behavior, and that you’ve used your new account to -only- disagree with a number of people. If there is more to you, I for one hope to see it.

Yes, I agree. I am bias to certain degrees… and surely, we can’t agree on everything! Although I would hardly describe my opinions as superior, how do you see it that way? I’m curious. I’m enjoying this informal banter with Humbabella more than anyone else.

I tend to not use it too seriously but I think it’s a very accurate explanation of the phenomenon, although I do like your ‘splainin’ version very much! That adds a level of snark I enjoy lol

I’d agree, but my view of that timescale puts the reclaiming out at quite a distance. That’s a whole lotta hate and horribleness to move past. For what it’s worth, this was on BBC radio the other day: Reclaiming the Swastika.

I’m enjoying this informal banter with Humbabella more than anyone else.

Do you think this is some sort of theoretical discussion or something? A fun, light-hearted discussion? And above, @TillDusk said, and I quote, “I see the humor in it.” (He was talking specifically about censorship, but the discussion was still in the context of the larger discussion of gamergate which is actually the larger discussion of sexism and harassment of women in gaming (and in society as a whole)).

Because this isn’t some fun theoretical discussion. This is about gamergate. Where real woman have been harassed and sent rape and death threats and even a fucking bomb threat. This isn’t “banter” and I don’t think @anon50609448 would agree with your assessment of your discussion with her (of course I won’t presume to speak for her, but I really don’t get the impression that her detailed and well-thought out replies were mere "banter) . This shit is serious.

I find it interesting that two people who I am pretty certain are men find this so much fun and humorous.

I don’t find it funny or enjoyable at all. In fact, it actually really fucking sucks that this discussion is happening and has to happen.

Yet more dismissing and downplaying the importance of this discussion.

10 Likes

Something weird is happening in this thread. Can you feel it too?

1 Like

When people complain about “political correctness” or even mention that meaningless phrase, I roll my eyes and stop listening.

4 Likes

[quote=“sypin, post:162, topic:44755”]
Well, yes. Here: http://topsy.com/analytics?q1=%23gamergate&q2=%40quinnspiracy&q3=%40femfreq&via=Topsy take the analytics of the hashtag- and enter any number of names, accounts or associations that you think are most related with gamergate and see the difference in context to the hashtag.[/quote]

[quote=“sypin, post:167, topic:44755”]
Here: http://topsy.com/analytics?q1=%23gamergate&q2=%40quinnspiracy&q3=brianna%20wu&via=Topsy you can adjust the search to include quinnspiracy, femfreq, etc.[/quote]

The lie that never dies. I’ve seen this argument (that less than 10% of #gamergate tweets mention the LWs) before. It’s deceptive and it’s already been debunked.

Edit: fixed link

9 Likes

hello new user accounts @open_mix and @Gaikang . I know you are new here, but your assumptions about the views of this site and its users are pretty far off base and completely incorrect.

The people on this site have a longstanding history of supporting LGBT rights. No one here is conflating gay sex with rape. A rape joke was the original context of the meme image and what it was originally used for. This is the historical context of that image and its use, and relevant to the discussion of the GG image being discussed, not some conflation or the view of the people of this site. Your assertions are a Red Herring and incorrect.

So your assertion is that the meme usage of this image was to spread a message of love and acceptance of all and honoring their imaginary interspecies union? people were so concerned with honoring this that it spun off into a serious, non joke, meme of acceptance for all. really?

(Note: Has any other long time BBer noticed that GamerGate articles have resulted in more new user accounts then any other type of article, and that all the posts are contrarian without additional contribution? These articles get more deflection, red herrings, false flag arguments, all from new accounts, then all the other articles combined. Just an observation.)

12 Likes