Garrison Keillor fired over allegations of his inappropriate behavior

I wonder if rights issues will mean that Keillor’s PHC will be essentially lost forever…

2 Likes

A Prairie Home Companion is a wildly successful show, orders of magnitude more popular than Boing Boing, so I don’t blame you for feeling that way. I’m astounded and delighted that anyone reads Boing Boing!

21 Likes

Well, at least Mr. Rogers hasn’t been revealed to have been a child molester. ::crosses fingers:: Please FSM.

4 Likes

at least he has other job prospects. like starring in the the live action version of the hunchback of notre dame as the titular character.

2 Likes

Not surprised.

He was always creepy.

7 Likes

Reminds me of Cosby and his defenders. People have a soft spot for who the performer played on stage with a character that we loved. It’s hard to let go of the character, and see them as a real person who used their power to abuse women.

I agree with the comment above - MPR wouldn’t have backpedaled this hard over what he confessed to - there will be more out soon I bet.

He’s not all good or evil. I’m sure he’s done great things with his life. But if he has hurt women, he should take responsibility and consequences for his actions. It’s not hard - don’t abuse women when you have power (or ever).

21 Likes

A Prarie Home Gropanion… it’s pure, mostly.

2 Likes

Shirt. Not skirt.

5 Likes

Oh dear, I hope Stuart McLean at least is clean

ummmm, you do realize that Stuart McLean died this year, eh?

3 Likes

Ah, thank you for the clarification.

3 Likes

I seem to recall he’s often said his physical appearance (he’s not only… um… unusual looking, he’s also very large) was what relegated him to being a radio performer.

Quite a difference between these two allegations. The former is more easily imagined as an accident than the latter.

It definitely becomes necessary to learn to disconnect the art from the artist after anything like this comes to light. I can love Ender’s Game but think Orson Scott Card is a disgusting bigot. I can love The Catcher in the Rye, but accept that J.D. Salinger was a grumpy asshole who reportedly “liked 'em young.”

If we fully divest ourselves from any media created by any person who has done bad things, we’re going to be living in silence.

9 Likes

Indeed. I first heard the allegations in a tweet that said “skirt”. I apologize for the misunderstanding, it seemed like a stretch to me as well.

1 Like

I saw him speak once. He told a story about back when he was 20-something and had just moved to New York. He got involved with a woman. The story involved one of his little songs, which contained a not-that-veiled reference to cunnilingus.

Sometimes that isn’t possible. Jimmy Savile, Gary Glitter and Ian Watkins did their jobs so they could have easier access to young people.

6 Likes

I love his voice, but I swear, he has a face for radio.

2 Likes

I thought Glitter just patronized child prostitutes in Asian countries. How does being a glam rocker get you unchaperoned access to children?

In the case of Card, he has never said that what he does is in any way wrong and has doubled down, or at least this is how I remembered it, when confronted about this stuff. I believe he used his religion as the excuse for some of his beliefs. And he actively gave money to supporting his bigotted causes.

It is much harder to separate the artist from the art when they are playing an active continuing role…there are others that have strived to be a better person and have tried to make ammends for their past behavior that I will gladly accept into my brain once again to entertain me. Then again, depends on what it was and everyone has to make up their own mind about if the art is greater than the crime.

4 Likes

By being famous in the 1970s.

From the Wiki article

In October 2012, Glitter was arrested again as part of Operation Yewtree. He was bailed but was eventually charged, in June 2014, with historical child sex offences. On 5 February 2015, he was found guilty of attempted rape, four counts of indecent assault, and one of having sex with a girl under the age of 13 between 1975 and 1980. On 27 February 2015, he was sentenced to a total of 16 years in prison.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t have put him on the list, necessarily, but I can’t say that I’m surprised.