Garrison Keillor fired over allegations of his inappropriate behavior

Yeah, I dearly hope nothing comes to light. I wasn’t a consistent listener, but I always liked hearing him come on the radio.

2 Likes

Hmm, so I was at a party at a university a few years ago with Mr. McLean in attendance and the next day many of the young ladies were atwitter about how he was kind of creepy.

So I guess it depends on your definitions of clean. Or sexual harassment. Certainly no one claimed he groped them or did anything more than attempt to see if any of them were into him. But then again maybe they wouldn’t.

Sorry to say I don’t have any more details but I did want to say that I don’t think he is a shining example of Perfect Behaviour.

It’s not but I’m still feel like I’m getting played.

What logic or precedent? It’s not like Keillor had a known history for sexual harassment.

1 Like

Of course not. Now go make yourself useful and grab a pitchfork. We have a castle to storm.

2 Likes

Well I certainly won’t be citing Louis C.K. for anything, ever again, I’ll tell you that.

3 Likes

Where all the sexual harassment is above average…

1 Like

Hell man! I remember this coming up HERE on BBS three years ago!

8 Likes

I recall Prarie Home Companion being a recurring gag in Bojack Horseman. I didn’t realize it was an actual thing.

1 Like

Precedent meaning few if any prominent public figures have ever been fired over sexual harassment claims that later turned out to be baseless. There’s no reason to think there’s a sudden swath of such firings happening now.

12 Likes

I hate to be that guy who says pfft, this was known, but pffft this was known.

If everyone in the Twin Cities claimed to have a Prince story, it seemed half of everyone had a Garrison Keillor is a creepy asshole story. He letched over my wife and her friend when they were in college. A friend of mine interned at MPR, (and this one is sketchier sourcing, but…) on his first day the woman giving him a tour of the office stopped when Keillor walked by just to say, “why won’t he die, please god let him die.” Keillor was a known POS, but PHC was carried by almost every NPR station in the country. It made MPR a ton of money.

6 Likes

Okay. Good. But maybe you misunderstood my intent in replying to @gone? I was speaking about how the person I was responding to was assuming that because Keillor’s public persona was Keillor himself? TBH, I’d guess that the CK’s public persona was probably much closer to his real persona, but I don’t know.

5 Likes

Really? Do you not listen to NPR on the regular?

1 Like

I’m not doubting it at all, but it’s hard to imagine someone seeing Gary Glitter and saying, “yeah, I’d leave him alone with my kid.” But we elected Trump so I guess anything stupid is possible.

4 Likes

My guess #1 is that Minn Public Radio admin was looking for an excuse to can him for a long time. He was pretty much the voice of MPR. Would be interesting to know the current political make up of MPR.

My guess #2 is that he was probably an arrogant asshat to MPR admin.

My guess #3 is I seriously doubt he’s a sexual predator along the lines of Cosby, Trump and Moore.

2 Likes

Where have you been? I used to listen semi regularly long long ago but not in the last 20 years.

1 Like

That’s hardly a defense though. It’s like saying “sure I stabbed that guy, but at least I’m not a serial killing rapist cannibal like Jeffrey Dahmer.”

13 Likes

I haven’t listened to terrestrial radio let alone PBS (outside of an occasional Car Talk or Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me on Sirius XM) in many, many years.

1 Like

I have no thoughts one way or the other as I have no clue about his personal life though evidence posted here points to him having some pretty creepy behavior… his show has been passe for years though. But with the scorched earth approach by MPR I would not be shocked if it is that bad.

2 Likes

Find yourself a source for Says You then, actually since I know you are nearish me just tune in to the KUOW stream at 6pm on Saturday evenings, or just pay the buck to get the app that downloads the show to your phone. It is probably the only show I make time for.

1 Like