Gatebox is a $2700 holographic cosplay assistant

Yes, even better! Team work!

Note, I am available as a part time editor and payable in vintage Star Wars Figures.

2 Likes

321K yen is just the initial payment. After it’s been recording you for a few months, you start getting the BIG bills.

4 Likes

I predict tentacles same day as release.

1 Like

That’s what I thought it was going to be to. I am disappoint.

3 Likes

I know it’s fashionable to mock lonely salarymen, and the pricepoint is a bit crazy.

But I absolutely see the appeal of an Alexa-like product that also has an avatar, and could communicate with me via text messages. I mean yeah, my family isn’t in the market for a waifu, but if you had other options like a little Totoro creature or something else cute and non-sexual, my kids would absolutely love using it.

2 Likes

Sure, but that film was an indie about a man who forms a platonic bond with a sex toy.
I believe you’re really thinking about Spike Jones’s movie Her (2013) in wich Joaquin Phoenix falls in love with Siri.

3 Likes

Recently I noticed that Spotify has started to make monthly virtual mix tapes for me, based on my listening habits. They’re surprisingly good.
I already have most of my kitchen appliances hooked up to timers. It saves energy and gets breakfast started earlier. Syncing them via an app is the next available step.

I could go on, but isn´t it mostly just the waifu aspect of this gadget that we find sad and creepy? If I were to, say, re-skin it with a Dobby the House Elf theme, or make the hologram look like Stephen Fry playing Jeeves, wouldn’t it be hella cool?

1 Like

Probably a Tengu sleeve in there

1 Like

So, no real fried eggs? Bah.

Also, no virtual boyfriend for lonely women or gay men?

Then you come home early one day and find she’s screwing the roomba.

6 Likes

If you think there is a business opportunity then why don’t you make this very thing?

Probably because I have no coding skills whatsoever, to start with…

1 Like

Trying not to be too judgy, really I am, but the ad at least is unbelievably sad. There are lots of people who don’t have a physical person to come home to, but surely they’d prefer to send texts and spend time with an online friend who is a real person somewhere, rather than deluding themselves with a rudimentary chatbot?

Deeply depressing advert. But I do think this might help some people with anxiety and intimacy issue.

I assume that the ‘sad and creepy’/‘japan weird anime sex’ angle is getting all the attention because otherwise the product is basically just Amazon’s little surveillance puck in a more sophisticated box; which is pretty thin material to talk about. Especially since the product appears to be a simple short-throw projection onto a semitransparent screen, nothing particularly ‘holographic’.

3 Likes

How annoying to have an Alexa or Cortana or Siri that nags you 12x a day to come home when you are working. I get the need for human interaction, but this doesn’t seem to include any of the good parts of human interaction.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.