Gatorade fined $300,000 for telling kids to "avoid water"

Seriously! Implication versus inference - which one is me again?

“obfuscation”

3 Likes

“Gatorade also agreed to use “reasonable efforts” to abide by parent company PepsiCo’s policy on responsible advertising to children and to disclose its contracts with endorsers.”

This is a true Yoda moment: Do or do not, there is no “reasonable effort”.

I wonder if whoever wrote that would accept an employee stating they would make a “reasonable effort” to abide by company policies about work hours or reporting their time or accuracy of their work.

4 Likes

I don’t know what you are getting at there. My point was only that people can realistically be culpable only for what they actually say, not how others choose to interpret it. Which is why I said that the case must hinge upon more than that one quote from the OP.

1 Like

Oh, I think you got it perfectly.

1 Like

I’ve found them very handy on long bike rides in hot weather (40+ miles) as well. I generally will have one water bottle filled with water and one with Powerade in such circumstances.

2 Likes

I recall in high school doing a health week and we had a aerobics marathon and was a ton of fun. I believe the people who would make it to the last 50 or so would get some extra credit on a class of their choice, and some extra credit for people that put good effort into it as a way to give incentive to those that would not be fit enough to make it to the top 50.

The school had plenty of water and then they also offered slices of orange. It was really refreshing. I’ve never been a fan of sports drinks myself, and as many have said on here it’s just way too sugary.

1 Like

Even… THIS?!

51CS EGDuXL

2 Likes

Drop some deadly mandalorian bombs

12 Likes

Got like 2 or 3 versions of it. Still need the full sized board.

Havent seen - but would get.

1 Like

I googled Boba Fett Diaper as a joke to see what i would get. I can’t say i’m surprised but not disappointed.

5 Likes

Hmm. Not cheap… but worth it? http://www.ebay.com/itm/142497446293

Yeah - maybe some day.

I don’t think grammar-lawyering is the best strategy when analyzing advertising aimed at children. Is anything ok as long as it includes enough sophistry?

2 Likes

10 Likes

In the case of this particular game, Gatorade seems like the wrong recommendation anyway:

2 Likes

I can third this. Stupidly let myself get not so much dehydrated, but had sweat enough to alter electrolyte balances. I had been drinking plain water, and hadn’t eaten for at least a few hours.

I got back to my car, turned the air conditioning up to max thinking that the tiredness was due to overheating, and started to eat a bit of beef jerky. I swear I could feel the salt permeating everything (the “almost orgasmic” feeling), and within 5 min or so, felt my normal self again.

So, now when hiking in so. cal summers, I have a tube of electrolyte tabs meant for those camelbak water reservoirs, that I can pop into my nalgene if I even start to feel that way.

4 Likes

Where “Do Nothing” somehow must equal unreasonably difficult effort. FFS.

As a late teen/early 20-something working construction, a two-man crew would typically drink 5 gallons of water plus 40 oz. of Mountain Dew in an 8 hour workday. We heard about some guys who filled their 5-gallon cooler with Gatorade and were hospitalized as a result.

1 Like

During a long race - because what I don’t drink, I usually pour over my head - yes that cup better be full of water! That was water, right?

2 Likes

When I find myself experiencing a severe hangover, I turn to Aquarius. (Or in a pinch, Pocari Sweat). My favorite explanation of these Japanese drinks, from Yuri, at TripleLights blog:

“Aquarius and Pocari Sweat are more electrolytes and water than sugar and flavour as seen in most of Gatorades and Powerades. Aquarius allows for ease of hydration by coming as close to the contents of sweat as drink science can get.”

2 Likes