GeekDad speaks out about Gamergate

Friends don’t let friends play blanka, or feed trollies.

3 Likes

Well…
There’s an episode from a good number of years ago where Randy is on Wheel of Fortune and answers a question with an unfortunate racial epithet. Stan spends the rest of the episode pulling his hair out trying to apologise to Token about the whole situation to me met with “You just don’t get it” over and again.
At the end of the episode he finally realises “No, I don’t get it. I CAN’T get it”. There’s nothing in his experience to compare with what it feels like to be racially abused, so his own opinions and continued protestations are virtually meaningless.

I think I’m getting this now. I don’t get it.

7 Likes

Certainly. Step up. Take action. Eliminate the problem. What’s your action plan?

It has successfully raised the awareness that there are depths that some people will plumb via the internet, including threats, to get attention for their very important cause.

@boundegar, this is why I support another 15 minutes of fame, and maybe 15 more after that. I don’t have the solution, but the solution is not to ignore the toxic environment, nor is it to stop discussing potential causes and possible ways to address this moving forward. Maybe it is for you, though? Constantly chiming in to dissuade conversation as lame and over isn’t adding much here. Clearly people want to talk solutions in this new social space.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing, and for saying that. I know it’s not easy. Also, I’m glad that a show you enjoy was able to help you make that connection. Also, I remember that episode! Now I want to go on a South Park binge I need a good laugh. @Bhobster, please take note. That was what I have been trying to get at. Consider, too, that not perceiving something that doesn’t directly affect you is not a black mark on your character or you as a person. I certainly WOULD NOT, for example, presume to speak about the treatment of people in this country who are disabled or who have very serious mental illnesses because I have no experience in that, at least not directly. That doesn’t mean I am a terrible person who lacks empathy. It does mean that I understand (usually) that I need to listen and also believe the stories of people who do experience and live with those issues.

4 Likes

They were in Canada, you wouldn’t know them.

1 Like

Honestly, it took stepping back and just reading stuff. I admit it, I get defensive. Seeing the points raised when I had no car in the race (the race in this case being sanity vs. troll) to see the big picture.

I hereby apologise for being a dick. I hope from here out we can be, if not friends, at least not enemies.

10 Likes
3 Likes

3 Likes

Yea that free speech stuff is crazy. Good chatting with you,

Here, you win a penis cookie! :smile: And so that there is no confusion, Death to Smoochy is one of my favorite movies ever, and so this penis cookie is given in all sincerity. Thank you for taking a step back.

3 Likes

I have NO IDEA what this is

1 Like

Hahahahahahahahaha. Okay, this sincerely made me laugh out loud, and very sardonically. FREEZE PEACH YOU GUISE! It’s all about the freaze peach. Delicious freaze peach.

5 Likes

OH MY GOD GUUUURL.

One of my favorites. You like South Park, so I think you’ll appreciate the weird dark humor. It’s not meant to be taken seriously. Please note that the picture I shared was of Edward Norton in a purple dinosaur plushie costume holding a penis cookie. The movie is available for rent for $2.99 on YouTube and iTunes and elsewhere.

Anyway, sorry to get off track, but I don’t personally mind the brief temporary distraction from the super serious and depressing stuff.

(For further context, I was eluding to the whole “here, you deserve a cookie” in a sincere sort of way, except instead of an e-cookie, you get a penis cookie presented by none other than Edward Norton in a pink dinosaur plushie constume :smiley: !)

If you haven’t seen Death to Smoochy you are in for a treat! A very strange wonderful treat.

free speech for all white males who share the exact same opinions, don’t ya know? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Wait! But I thought it was about ethics in journalism.

1 Like

Wow, that is so awesome you took the time to post that even though you don’t care what I think. I might just have to print it up and put it on my wall.

Anyhow, I do understand even though I don’t watch south park all that much. Unfortunately my only point originally is that I am trying to make sense of Gamergate and evidently it’s a sensitive subject to get into especially if you try and understand both sides.

You seem to forget the point in conversation where you told others what it was not. Have you seen the sunk-cost fallacy thread?

2 Likes

Wrong, I was replying. I remember what I was told, and yes forgive me if I take things with a grain of salt. This by-far the weirdest discuss place, lots of rhetorical questions.

that’s impressive Bhob.