Geek's idea to get "NULL" license plate ends up backfiring

Now I’m wondering if you could bet the plate CCCCXX

BXC6ItN

3 Likes

(If you know what I mean.)

…And he won’t change the license plate, which basically ensures that he will keep getting other people’s tickets.

6 Likes

While funny the fact that the people responsible for administering the DB haven’t resolved the issue is more telling of the shoddy work they do. Either the plate is valid or not, if its valid then the admins are not living up to their responsibilities and what else are they missing?

8 Likes

a550rgy

11 Likes

Another species goes extinct while our plant burns. And Droogie is fighting the good fight keeping as safe what is essentially an irrelevant software bug. I believe Droogie has earned the label “malignant narcissus”.

1 Like

Most thread-appropriate typo ever

5 Likes

I guess this also means that you don’t want to pull a Fargo and get the plate “DLR.”

I used to work in direct mail marketing and our software would always kick out 2 letter last names as invalid.
As a consequence many Chinese names like Hu, Li, Na etc, would get wiped out for no other valid reason.
I couldn’t get anyone at Group 1 software to give a crap, so congrats, Mr Ko, you don’t get to hear about the wonders of whatever new drug we were pushing that week.

4 Likes

FYI, that’s not just a folksy put-down: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/maroon

I’m familiar with the origin; thanks.

4 Likes

Even in the one definition of “maroon” (among many) that you refer to, the word is not an ethnic slur. The Maroons formed an independent culture that fought back heroically and effectively against slavery.

Do you have examples of the term being used as a pejorative in modern times?

5 Likes

It’s too bad the Brit’s didn’t chose a darker shade of red for their uniforms. Then us yanks could have switched out the pejorative term “red coats” and just called them a bunch of maroons.

3 Likes

There’s a lot of misinformation out there. The word actually originated in 1893, when a cargo steamer loaded with red paint collided with another ship loaded with violet paint. Both sank, and 37 crew members ended up marooned.

13 Likes

Thanks for the humor and making me look it up. I was under the impression it was something somebody yelled when they hit a ball with one whack into a hole on 45’s palm beach resort. As soon as they saw it go in, they’d yell:

“Mar-O-Oned!”

4 Likes

17 Likes

Oh, the irony of a presumed person of privilege concern driving trollies me about alleged racial slurs.

11 Likes

I think they were replying to technocheler

Oh?

Sure looks like that initial attempt to tone police was directed squarely at me; I even got a notification, and everything.

5 Likes