Geek's idea to get "NULL" license plate ends up backfiring

Fair enough - I was confused by which post you quoted

1 Like

Okay, I write software for a living and this one wins.

I also saw one from NH once painted in white and it said “EGG”

3 Likes

It’s a comic mispronunciation of moron. Morons are not an ethnicity.

4 Likes

I actually worked for a license plate entry company for about 3 weeks last year. The toll roads that we covered have electronic tags on the cars backed up by several cameras. If the tag doesn’t register, we would enter the plate characters and state. Our pay was connected to our speed and accuracy. Every plate ended being entered by 3 people. If there was disagreement, auditors would take a closer look.

The system produced less than 0.5% error rate, if I recall correctly. They burned through people. Only a few could average a plate every 6 seconds over a week. We had OCR to suggest the characters, but it had gotten worse with every software revision for years. My manager was blurringly fast, and knew every style of plate and font with eerie precision. “No the third character of those plates is always a letter, and that zero next to it is hand drawn. Mark as altered, and move on.”

Turns out a career of double checking everything I type ruined me for that job. With only 6 seconds to make a plate determination, the folk typing aren’t going to do much about a silly name. And the folk writing our software at least ran out of fucks to give years ago.

2 Likes

Nerdiest license plate I’ve ever seen was “68000” on a car in the parking garage at California Extreme Arcade and Pinball Expo last month.

I didn’t get a picture.

1 Like

Not sure he actaully expected to avoid tickets, but apparently dropping a joke in a defcon talk gets the press all in a tizzy.

2 Likes

That must suck if your name is Nan Null.

1 Like

reads through further fallout @melz2 is getting

Sorry about the timing there. This has been a poorly reported story that a bunch of people ran with though, because it was “entertaining”.

2 Likes

Fixing computer issues isn’t the DMV’s job. Their only job is to make you wait 4 hours before collect fees and fines from you.

i’ve seen several of those kind:
7Z7Z7Z
5S5S5S

1 Like

on a black dodge wagon sporting lotsa antennae, visiting a cult45 neighbor:
NO TAG
had a pic but of course i cant find it;-}

1 Like

Heh. The best you can do in Germany is initials or perhaps date of birth. Not and, because when you are in two letter territory, you get three digits. And when you are in four digit territory, it’s usually one letter. And the first 1 to letters are fixed anyway.

So CTY FF-255 is among the cleverest I’ve seen.

That’s a needlessly expensive ass “joke”; IMO.

From the WIRED article:

"Prank or not, Tartaro was playing with fire by going with NULL in the first place. “He had it coming,” says Christopher Null, a journalist who has written previously for WIRED about the challenges his last name presents. “All you ever get is errors and crashes and headaches.”

If anything, Null says, the problem has gotten worse over the years. “The ‘minimum viable product’ concept has pushed a lot of bad code through that doesn’t go through with the proper level of testing,” Null says, adding that anyone affected is inevitably an edge case, a relatively small problem not worth devoting a lot of resources to fix. Null has himself had to deal with countless annoyances, from American Express dropping his last name altogether, to Bank of America refusing to accept emails from his “nullmedia.com” domain."

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.