Gen X is no longer young: A thread on aging

For $31.99, you’d probably get further with a bag of Lays and a couple grams of weed on the side.

4 Likes

I’m fairly sure milk was being delivered still west of Kitchener by horse and cart in the early 90’s, although that was a bit of a revival. :thinking:

Our milk delivery door is now a cat door, with an insulated outer box and a cat flap :grin:

When we had the 22lb ex-barnyard enforcer :cat2: we didn’t worry about the :raccoon:'s finding it, but these days it gets closed for the night once the little black kitty is in.

Ottawa Journal for me (long defunct). None of this tossing the paper in the general direction of the porch, either. Every house had a storm/screen door and I had to put the paper between it and the main door (especially in the winter) and in a few houses I was expected to take the paper indoors and leave it on a table in the lobby.

10 Likes

Thank you. I’ve struggled for a long time to articulate that feeling.

6 Likes

We had ours delivered in glass bottles with foil caps, until the magpies realised they could tear a hole through the foil and sup the cream.

10 Likes

My first job was a paper route in the early 80s. I was probably 13 or 14 then. Tough work. 365 days a year with no days off. Up every morning at 4am throwing up to 150 subs a day. Back then carriers were also responsible for collecting which means I paid for the papers every month then collected the subscription fees and kept the difference. Most months I barely broke even or even lost money. By the time I was 17 I had moved up to the regional level and managed a distribution center.

Several years later I went to work at the customer call center for the same newspaper at headquarters taking complaints before moving up into a clerical job in the marketing department. I Learned some basic computer and programming skills there which propelled me into an IT career which I’ve been doing for going on 25 years now. Met my wife at the newspaper too along with many lifelong friends.

In some respects my entire life has revolved around newspapers. To see them steadily disappear is very sad to me.

16 Likes

13 Likes

Maybe going for the pedant’s badge here, but that means none of them are millennials. Not sure they’re even still Gen Z tbh.

6 Likes

Truly an example of a meme that didn’t age well.

6 Likes

Yeah, considering Pew considers 1996 the cutoff birth year for millennials for the meme to be true that all falcons are millennial falcons, it would have been last accurate in 1996.

The whole “all were born in the 21st century” thing makes no sense at all, since no millennial was born in the 21st century. Having experienced the millennium shift is the name-giving event of the generation, after all

3 Likes

Lucky. It filed papers on me at 21.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Geriatric millennial here. Middle age is weird. Even though I’m younger than a lot of the people posting I feel old, old enough to have less patience and to perceive less patience for myself in the world as well… and I definitely feel the shift in how people react towards me. I see the loss of beauty and greet it with resignation and compassion as best I can because if I can’t then how can I expect anyone else to try? I push myself to keep learning new things because I see how easy it becomes to stagnate once the external social pressure of youth ends.

Physically I’ve had some major health concerns so that makes me feel really old too. But it has also prompted me to leave unhealthy habits behind and find better ones.

still, I feel like my life is full of a vitality I lost touch with in my thirties because I truly value my remaining time these days.

Maybe we become old when we accept oldness in ourselves for better or worse?

And maybe becoming old is such a privilege I ought to be honored to participate.

What’s that song? “Tell me why is it hard to make arrangements with yourself when you’re old enough to repay but young enough to sell?” I always thought that lyric captured the feeling well.

8 Likes

So, this old GenX grandpa slacker… slacked from slacking. I resumed my hike through the Alps. My question is if you other old farts want to keep seeing me talk about it.

Here. See a glacier in the distance. Maybe for the last time, since they’re melting fast.

15 Likes

Sure. I’m always interested in the exploits of fellow codgers. :grin:

10 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1:
Ongoing updates might fit better in the Trip Advisor thread, though? To keep this one focused on actual and metaphorical aches, agonies, and indignities (and occasional high points)?

13 Likes

When I was a fluffy-tailed 20-something in my first “career” job after university, the boss had drinks and nibbles for his 50th birthday. We were friendly, and after a few beers I asked him “So, how does it feel being closer to 100 than your birth?” He thought for a few seconds, and replied “Lucky. Not everyone has the privilege.” I felt suitably small.

13 Likes

Outdoor Recreation Pics would be a good choice, IMO

6 Likes

I feel like there’s a curse in there somewhere… “May you live long enough to feel survivors’ guilt”

Turning 50 felt satisfying, like ok that’s a life, everything else from here on is just bonus. Especially as I had a birth defect that even a decade or two earlier would have had me dead at 2 months, so the whole fact of my existence feels absurd anyways.

11 Likes

Sure, it looks like fun, just be more careful with your beer man.

6 Likes

Gracious, that sounds more like MLM.

1 Like