Gen X is no longer young: A thread on aging

Eh, Incarnations of Immortality was a pretty good series, slightly on the scholcky side, but I did enjoy it. Amber though, was incredibly absorbing.

2 Likes

Hell, I remember having milk delivered every morning, and the guy putting the glass jugs into an insulted box on our porch. Now, this was in WV, a few decades behind the rest of the country, but still…

11 Likes

I think we were getting it when I was very small in Florida. I remember because my grandparents loved Gustafson’s Acidophilus.

7 Likes

Only if you discount the last book or two. IIRC, the last one was self published and included rape and/or child rape.

2 Likes

Will this thread age well?

5 Likes

Hmmm, I finished with …And Eternity. Until you made me look it up, never knew there was another one. So, yeah, never read it, after reading that, I will not put it on my to do list. (And published 17 years later. What the hell?)

2 Likes

As long as it pays into Social Security. /s

6 Likes

Can I expect my delivery of Coke soon? :wink:

4 Likes

coca-cola coca GIF

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

9 Likes

“Hey! What are you putting in me? This is a violation of my privacy! How dare you!”

I know you meant insulated, but the typo just makes me think of something that Jim Henson might have staged. Thanks!

Oh, and we had one of those old insulated boxes, but my mom used it for her clothespins. Grandpa used to be a milkman. I think she still has it.

7 Likes

You know what? I’m not even gonna fix it! :rofl:

8 Likes

My husband, that’s who!

3 Likes

They really were great!

1 Like

My boyhood home in London, Ontario, and the house I’m in now, both had a milk box in the wall by the back door, i.e. a sort of airlock thing that opened to the outside and the inside. They were pretty standard in the days of home delivery.

9 Likes

Me too, but not from landscaping. I’ve been exercising since (I guess) the pandemic started and, until this summer, I’ve regularly stuck with it. (Yeah I went on about it, back when:)

2 or 3 times a week I’d do calisthenics, like the stuff they’d make us do in gym class (except now with no shouted threats of corporal punishment). Though lately it’s been once a week, at best.

If I use the specific metric of being able to touch one’s toes, then I’m in better shape than ever, because I was never able to do that until the same time that AARP showed up in the mailbox (see above).

5 Likes

You can still get them, but it seems like they’re priced for nostalgia.

3 Likes

ETA finish reading the comment thread before posting - doh!

Available again as a subscription (at quite the premium price for the nostalgia)

2 Likes

Thank you for that link, I chortled audibly like a renowned 6’11" 290# Christmas elf

3 Likes

Houses with a somewhat raised ground floor had the airlock thingy with an added dumbwaiter thingy inside. How cool is that?

4 Likes

@dfaris

That’s okay. There’s a brand here in Tijuana called Chip’s that’s a pretty good substitute, with only basic ingredients. They do them up with spices for those who like picante, too. And they’re the closest anyone has to kettle-style.

6 Likes