Gendered objectification

Tell him that he is missing out, seriously. It is so freaking comfy. Hell anatomy wise I don’t understand why this isn’t the freaking default for menswear.

13 Likes

Because it looks too much like a skirt.

Damn the patriarchy!
:wink:

*lolz

20 Likes

Well to be fair it is, just a manly one.

14 Likes

I’ve been trying to get Mr. Bells in one since we met. The man has fantastic legs. I just discovered there’s an actual Utilikilt store in Seattle. Maybe I can borrow @TobinL to help me pick one out. :smiley:

13 Likes

Me in a kilt:

14 Likes

I got mine there, well the old interbay location. Plus it is a local business! However I need to lose another 10lbs or so to fit in it properly again.

8 Likes

That reminds me: My son and I are going to DragonCon in Atlanta this year and I’ve promised him a Utilikilt and I need to order it (ain’t no stores for that in Alabama). I’m beyond proud as a parent that he wants one. They are expensive, but I’m shelling out the cash for that.

12 Likes

Shhh! They’ll hear you!

Smexy!

That’s awesome.

:slight_smile:

14 Likes

@Sagoli’s really spot-on reply to me up thread brought to mind something that was at the back of my thoughts, which is that there’s something missing in the way we talk about this, an absent nuance to objectification, self or otherwise. Most guys worry about whether or not prospective mates of either gender depending on their orientation are going to find them desirable. That’s true across the gender spectrum (with the qualification that some people are asexual). But guys on average don’t worry nearly as much about being exploited, because society defers to how we present instead of the other way around.

When we assert control of ourselves, society gives it to us. It’s true that men don’t always have the confidence to take control of their presentation, but when they do, they get it. When women assert control, they become targets for the worst elements and the rest of society mostly just goes along with that inequity.

The reason I’m very wary though of the term self-objectification is because it gets used a lot against women because of how they’re presenting, instead of why and whether it’s their choice. I’ve seen this used against family members and friends to slut-shame them, so I tend to be really careful not to make false-consciousness arguments.

For example, it seems to me that there’s a world of difference between @Sagoli recognizing that she wanted to present differently and someone else telling her to. And I’ve seen people try to assert a claim to control over people close to me on the pretense of “the greater good”. That said, I want to emphasize that I don’t believe anyone here has or would do that. But it’s why I’m really careful about terms like self-objectify. I was probably wrong to throw out the baby with the bathwater; I just feel there’s a distinction that the language is missing, and I don’t want to abuse words because words can be some of the most powerful weapons.

15 Likes

Can you imagine Jon Hamm in a skirt?

13 Likes

Well, now I can.

15 Likes

Did you mean to sound so rapey?

Also, just because I’m larger than nearly all women doesn’t mean that I’m somehow impervious to guns and knives.

That’s speculation at best, not to mention highly insulting to men.

2 Likes

They are well made. I wore mine near daily for a few years and it is still in good shape.

6 Likes

Yup. You’re born with your orientation. But you learn to be a lowlife, and that school is, rather ironically, the most inclusive one on Earth.

9 Likes

I can’t pretend to know what you’ve been through, but I think a willingness to help others cope with or avoid the tribulations you’ve survived is both a sign of tremendous strength and one of the best ways to survive things no one should ever have to.

10 Likes

What’s that, we need more ham and cheese? Okay…

ETA: Damn, now I’ll have the theme song stuck in my head all weekend.

9 Likes

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe it will be just another bullshit weaselly appeal to nature argument. “Well, you see, gay men are only one percent of the population, and are smaller and weaker than straight men because of low testosterone…” or some other complete lunacy.

I don’t know if that happens outside of high school or maybe college. In men’s locker rooms, it’s usually only the younger guys who are uncomfortable with nudity and showering.

Can we kill those with fire please? I’m not saying rape jokes are never funny, but 99.9999999% of the time they’re stunningly unfunny and unoriginal. The problem is, everyone who makes these stupid rape jokes thinks they’re the one in a billion who can pull it off, and that nobody sees their joke coming a mile away.

9 Likes

That right there is why I no longer go to gay bars.

2 Likes

Ironically, women like me go to gay bars because we know that we’re less likely to be harassed, and we want to actually dance.

15 Likes

That’s what I’ve heard. My only concern is that the lowest size I’ve seen is waist 30 and my 14-year-old is at most a 29, probably closer to 28. I know it’s a stereotype but he eats SO much. Growing up with only a sister, I sit back and am amazed.

6 Likes