Gendered objectification

Probably a mere miscommunication where it wasn’t apparent that you and Jilly were talking about generalities, rather than individual people.

I fully concur that provocation need not be sexual in nature.

13 Likes

I’ve had a faceful of makeup before. It’s not easy when you’re a beginner. Some of it, like eyeliner, is downright painful until one becomes practiced in application.

I’m working on liberating myself from my last job working for someone else on a scheduled basis. After that, it would be nice and freeing to experiment again. I’ve never been typically transvestite, but I did enjoy coloring my hair and accentuating here and there in my youth during the post-punk era.

:notes:I was wearing eyeliner, she was wearing eyeliner…:notes:

8 Likes

Well okay but…a lot of women have breast implants.

12 Likes

No you don’t. Nothing you’ve said here indicates that at all. You keep taking about fashion and choices, which actually is pretty derailing.

The topic is comparing objectification with regards to women as opposed to men.

You might want to start a new thread.

10 Likes

Did/do you apply it yourself, or did/do you have help?

I’ve had a tiny handful of guys who would let me and my pals do makeup on them; it’s always so fun.

9 Likes

My husband always did his own, in his goth days.

Actually my ex did too. In fact, he can do perfect liquid eyeliner wings, which I will NEVER manage in my life lol

13 Likes

This has been nothing but a productive, mostly polite, constructive dialog amongst many, many women AND men. I only see one person using gross logical fallacy, and it has nothing to do with gender.

13 Likes

I’ve only known a few goths in meatspace, and they were all female.

Still I’m fascinated by men who wear makeup, regardless of the reason.

Due to the typical nature of female sexual objectification, any use of cosmetics can be perceived as gender-fuck, when it’s not a female who’s wearing it.

13 Likes

I said Lucite heels and a bikini because it was an extreme example of a “provocative” outfit. I once saw a woman wearing exactly that riding a motorcycle down a southern California freeway.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen you before today.

15 Likes

I don’t, but it didn’t bother me any. Did not really notice it (as I said).

Thanks for filling me in! I am rewatching it a bit at a time, and this twist will add a new layer.

5 Likes

I do ADORE a man in eyeliner.

17 Likes

Now this reminds me: I know of a guy who had something with his fingernails – chronic infection if I recall correctly. He often said he wished it was societally okay for him, an otherwise straight, cis, vanilla manly man, to wear nail polish to cover it up.

Makeup for everyone! Or not! As they like, when they like, how they like!

20 Likes

Getting back to actual subject, how did your hubby dress?

I’ve seen gothy dudes rock some feminine clothing along with the makeup, and of course that makes it even more ‘genderfuck…’

Agreed!

13 Likes

I believe the technical term is “guyliner”.

10 Likes

I know he wore skirts, but that was before I actually knew him. We did revisit our goth days one Halloween, and I put him in a fishnet shirt and some vinyl pants from Hot Topic :laughing:

11 Likes

Are you 'splaining up here, bro?

*lolz

Uh-oh; hot stuff!

4 Likes

Pfft that’s right up there with “manbun”. It’s a bun, it’s eyeliner. Isn’t the whole point to STOP gendering things pointlessly?

29 Likes
9 Likes

I find this music video to be pretty interesting. Do you remember the old Robert Palmer “Simply Irresistable”?

This video is gender swapped. It features men made up, dressed up and dancing just like the women in the old version, with the female vocalist in Palmer’s place.

13 Likes

It was a gender-swap experiment I did with a friend on Halloween. She was a gangster, and I was her moll. All her idea, but I was game.
She and another did my makeup for me. I’m a pretty good painter, but I was too nervous I’d fuck it up.
The whole thing was rather fun. I swear, the ladies have a good thing going with stockings; they feel sooo good.

I’m definitely sure I don’t have a desire for transvestitism as a lifestyle. I’m just a low-key t-shirt and jeans kind of guy. But I do know exactly where Eddie Izzard is coming from when he says he feels like a lesbian trapped in a man’s body.

13 Likes