General Colin Powell, first Black US secretary of state, RIP

Something along the lines of the policing situation in the US. You’re never going to effect change from the inside.

So here we go with another round of post-mortem turd polishing.

10 Likes

One of the better men in the Bush administration, but that’s. a pretty low bar.

I read about the “evidence” he presented to the United Nations on the internet a full two weeks before he did it, including the official debunking of that same info by the British Secret Service.

8 Likes

Kind of evil.

4 Likes

I’m constantly getting the impression that responsible journalism is dead.

11 Likes

Nah. It just has lower wattage.

14 Likes

I hope he’s enjoying hell.

ETA: Sorry to those who think I have gone too far, but that quote really pisses me off.

10 Likes

Since he was fully vaxxed and died of covid (I understand he was immune compromised), I can’t wait to see how the anti-vax q-nuts spin this.

1 Like

It might have been fairly reflexive:

Read the breaking news from Twitter. Pull out the canned obit file and dust it off, include the details from the family’s tweet which included “fully vaxxed”, editor drops in the boilerplate breakthrough infection paragraphs, run it!

Hopefully once the journalists have had their coffee, they’ll update it.

6 Likes

Around 2004 the theater department at a local college put on a production about the lead-up to the war that was literally written and performed as a Greek tragedy, with Powell as the tragic figure.

6 Likes

That infamous UN powerpoint with the RV-based weapons labs and the yellow cake and the aluminum tubes was such obvious bullshit that I still want to break things every time I think about it. Colin Powell was at best “just following orders” and at worst an active participant in sending us to war under false pretenses. A man of honor would have fallen on his sword rather than falling in line, and for that he can forever go fuck himself.

13 Likes

It’s always sad when a war criminal escapes justice.

3 Likes

Short version: if you have any personal honor, don’t get involved in politics.

1 Like

There will be those who’ll continue to defend Powell even while being fully aware of his history and accepting of the facts. Their defense will pretty much come down to one thing: “Well… he was a complicated person.”

(Where have I heard that before?)

9 Likes

Or, “Well, politics is complicated.”

Thing is, war crimes usually aren’t.

11 Likes

Colin Powell Was Vaccinated But Also Living With Cancer. Which Part Will Anti-Vaxxers Tell The Truth About?

7 Likes

Give me a break.

That NY Times obit by Eric Schmitt is horrible on the UN speech. It’s an absolutely disgusting rewriting of history, but not surprising considering Schmitt has been one of the biggest ghouls howling about the end of the war in Afghanistan.

Schmitt’s ridiculously wrong acount presents Powell as the victim of unnamed middle level CIA analysts who presented him with a load of questionable intelligence, which he eventually pared down to mostly reasonable justifications for invasions, except for the claim of WMDs.

In fact, the wheelbarrow of awful intelligence dumped on Powell was cherry picked garbage carefully curated by GW Bush’s politicos, first and foremost Cheney. Despite what Schmitt implies, the intelligence case for all of it was shady, shaky, and weak.

This does not exonerate Powell. Not at all. He knew the score, and decided that rather than resign where he knew he was being set up to be the fall guy – and horrible people like Cheney, Bolton, Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz made sure in later years to twist the knife – Powell decided to go along and deliver a speech that provided the cover Bush and his crew wanted to turn the decision into a moderate position, not a radical one.

Schmitt’s account is disgusting, wrong, and manages to exonerate all of the wrong people while completely failing to even defend the legacy of Powell, who deserves a lot of criticism but not in the way Schmitt suggests.

14 Likes

From the news outlet that once employed Judith Miller. Not surprised in the least.

11 Likes

So I just had this conversation…

It wasn’t covid it was the cancer. They used that to prove their point that covid isn’t killing people. And they through in vaccines don’t work for good measure.

I pointed out, as I always do, if he was hit by bus and killed, the bus killed him not the cancer.

In other words, without covid he’d be alive today.

Nope, they weren’t having any of it.

2 Likes

War criminals belong at the bottom of the sea.

Good riddance to bad garbage.

2 Likes