General Colin Powell, first Black US secretary of state, RIP

Whatever his connection to My Lai, he described himself as the “chief administration advocate” for the Contras in Nicaragua in the '80s

“WMD’s in Iraq” is not an aberration, it’s what they hired him to do, and he did what he was told, again

9 Likes

You’re close to nailing the relevant talking point on comorbidity.

If he was crossing the street on his way to his chemo appointment, he’d have lived (a bit longer) without the bus, and also if he never had cancer.

The ultimate blame may fall more on one malady than the other depending on the situation (i.e. the bus), but it’s difficult to say for sure the person would have survived without the bus or without the cancer.

1 Like

If he died of COVID it means the vaccines don’t work, if he died of cancer it means COVID isn’t real, checkmate liberals /s

10 Likes
11 Likes

Wow, Powell wrote a book called, “I worked for me”? Was it co-authored with Bernie Madoff?

Yeah, it worked for you, that’s what we’re outraged about.

At the risk of going very far off topic here, the issue here is that people will lie to themselves to support their “Covid is overblown” talking point. They say, “A bunch of people who had covid written on their death certificate were in hospice or terminal.” But if there was a hole in the middle of the hospice and every other week someone fell in and suffered fatal injuries, those same people would think it was insane that the hole wasn’t being fixed. They’d say the hole was killing people, especially if it killed someone they cared about.

But they will suspend that normal way of thinking if the conclusion goes against their ideology about covid. It’s necessary to lie to yourself to support the “covid isn’t that bad” thing, even if you are very uninformed/disinformed. I don’t think it’s about how comorbidity works. I think it’s about delusion.

11 Likes

And that’s about as much effort as he deserves.

8 Likes

F ­

1 Like

This has always been Colin Powell for me:
https://clip.cafe/mars-attacks-1996/i-get-meet-the-martian-ambassador/

4 Likes

Except for this:

To his death, he never recanted or disowned, that if not an outright fabrication (which it was), it was certainly a negligent misjudgement. His “presentation” was a cruel mockery of the US’ 1962 delineation of Soviet missiles in Cuba, greatly harming American prestige and credibility. He was lying when he said it and he should have known he was lying. And 5/10/15 years later, he should have said as much. What did he have to lose? And now he, the “reasonable moderate”, will (and should) be lumped in as being equally bad as Bush, Blair, Cheney, Tenet, and all the other terrible PNAC neo-Cons.

Having said that, I believe he was a great and decent man and a great leader, when he chose to do so. It’s just that could have been so much more.

5 Likes

Oh, dear, let’s all mourn the war criminal. That is the civilised and socially responsible thing to do, right?

2 Likes

Read the room, dude, fuck all mourning happening in here.

8 Likes

“A handy guide for deciding whether or not to criticize a person after they die”

Source

15 Likes

17 Likes
6 Likes

“Let’s” being media/tone-police in general

8 Likes

The usual media whitewash for the political class, most especially whitewashing military histories. How many pols, intelligence, or military officials get named as mass murderers? It ain’t like there aren’t plenty of them, e.g., Kissinger and Cheney. Look at the really disturbing amnesia the media has about all the 3-letter agency spooks, many known from the dox exposed by Snowden, who now are the news medias on-air personalities. See Matt Taibbi’s Yes, Virginia, There is a Deep State - by Matt Taibbi - TK News
He tweeted a list 2 years ago:

Matt Taibbi @mtaibbi

John Brennan, James Clapper, Chuck Rosenberg, Michael Hayden, Frank Figliuzzi, Fran Townsendhttps://twitter.com/mtaibbi, Stephen Hall, Samantha Vinograd, Andrew McCabe, Josh Campbell, Asha Rangappa, Phil Mudd, James Gagliano, Jeremy Bash, Susan Hennessey, Ned Price, Rick Francona… I can keep going. twitter.com/gebert_eric/st…

Matt Taibbi @mtaibbi

Also Michael Morell, John McLaughlin, John Sipher, Thomas Bossert, Clint Watts, James Baker, Mike Baker, Daniel Hoffman, Susan Rice, Ben Rhodes, David Preiss, Evelyn Farkas, Tony Blinken, Mike Rogers, “Alex Finley,” Malcolm Nance…

This is not a good thing. It’s like we’re all begging to get lied to. It’s like we’re incapable of learning a fucking thing. Pathetic.

1 Like

I think what’s driving me nuts is that if Colin Powell had fucked goats no one would be saying anything good about Powell for fear of being thought of as a goat-fucker-by-association.

But Powell worked to create a situation where bombs were dropped on human beings. People died. And Powell knew while doing that that there wasn’t a good reason to do it. If there had been a good reason then Powell wouldn’t have lied about the reason.

Why doesn’t the stink of that rub off on people?

14 Likes

I’m not sure a lot of top US generals would see much of a downside to going to war with few projected US casualties for even the slightest of reasons. Powell was perfectly happy to indulge W’s Oedipal issues for the sake of demonstrating the glory of the US military and for him that was a good enough reason by itself.

1 Like

Did you read the comments here before you posted?

Also… Matt Taibbi? Really? Not exactly a reliable source anymore, if he ever was one…

10 Likes