General Gaming Chit-Chat and Tea-Time

So, I’ve played through Act IV of this twice (the binary nature of this act practically demands it. You miss 50% of the content otherwise).

(does anyone else here have KR0?)

I still love it, although this act is my least favourite. The feeling of the thing is great. I won’t call it a game, because you have practically nothing to do other than to experience it. You don’t even control how you move from scene to scene this time around, and you’ve lost control of the character who’s been your avatar up to this point.

It looks great, although this segment is very text oriented, and the music is sadly mostly absent compared to previous acts.

I hope the final(?) act doesn’t take as long to arrive as this one.

(I still need to go back and play the first three acts again)

3 Likes

not yet.

visually, reminds me of Out Of This World / Another World.

2 Likes

I need to get it. Do I need, like, a Steam account or something? (I’ve been a console guy since the first Xbox except for the six Myst games, The Thing, and Baldur’s Gate.)

3 Likes

I got it on a Steam, think there are other options (Humble, GOG, Itch.io). PC/Mac/Linux, anyway.

2 Likes

I think that with humble bundle a lot of games are activated with steam keys. Still worth checking out though.

I have been back into Guild Wars 2 the last couple of days. Some of my characters got their third birthday awards – that’s about how long it’s been since I’ve played.

I started new characters to get used to things (and a lot of systems have changed). Currently loving the necromancer, but mesmer is still fun too. Ranger is still boring (despite a friend’s recommendation to try greatsword with them).

How’s that community going?

I played at launch and everyone I was playing with quit after getting bored at the level cap. I stuck around for a bit to do the silly jumping puzzles like the Mad King’s tower but then drifted on…

It really was a great world to explore.

1 Like

That’s how I played it before, too. Got a few characters to 80, quit playing it for a year, came back, got another couple of characters to 80, and quit again for another couple of years. But then I’ve never been interested in “endgame” stuff in MMOs anyway.

I solo all the time, and don’t bother with dungeons, just open world exploration and events. I do like how GW2 has spontaneous cooperative events.

2 Likes

Ah. I’ve grinded to the level cap in Dark Age, vanilla WoW, and GW2 with the same group. I love the “Fellowship of the Ring” group storytelling that emerges along the journey from 1 to cap with old friends. The endgame always winds up being too hardcore and competitive for my tastes for me to stick around.

(insomnia days are here again!)

A few months back I was complaining about the relative lack of crazy shooters for competitive play - by which I mean with a focus upon speed and accuracy rather than sluggish eye candy.

Somebody listens! I just saw this teaser for the new Quake Arena. I can (hopefully) sleep well knowing that there might be a good modern game with more players than the ageing HL2DM and OpenArena servers I frequent.

Anyone here playing No Man’s Sky?

I experience AAA games vicariously, not having anything to run them on, but this sounded interesting.

I’ve read a few reviews, watched a few livestreams, it seems a bit…dull?

In the world of games I can play, I’ll be picking up Reigns this evening…

4 Likes

The killing of Dalian Atkinson has reminded me of a game of Championship Manager that I played nearly 20 years ago.

I was Carlisle United (who else would I have been?) and doing OK in the second division (the old third division, now League 1) but not scoring enough goals. Dalian Atkinson was available on a free transfer, I didn’t expect him to sign but he did. Then things went crazy.

I couldn’t lose. I couldn’t draw. It was near impossible for the other team to score. I got promoted to the First division (now the Championship) and won the FA Cup. The next season continued that pattern, I won the Charity Shield, First Division, League Cup, FA Cup and Cup Winners Cup. Now I was in the Premier League, this must stop now surely.

Nope. Another Charity Shield, FA Cup, League Cup and Cup Winners Cup to go with being Premier League champions and Champions league qualification. And Carlisle still couldn’t stop winning.

By the time Atkinson retired Carlisle United had an eight year winning streak and were considered to be the best football team in the world.

None of this may have happened in real life, but he was a legend in that one game.

4 Likes

Via RPS

Giant Bomb: On Monsters, Role Playing, and Blackness

3 Likes

The quest to get the lowest possible rank in Overwatch…

(why yes, I do just take these from the RPS Sunday Papers, which anyone reading this probably already reads. Whatever…)

4 Likes

That was sublime. I almost had to go out and upgrade so that I can buy/play Overwatch. I’ve basically forgotten how to enjoy fps games. (tired of shooting at things)

I fiddled with Duskers for about a week until the Mac rainbow bug forced me to put it on the shelf for a bit. Everything in that RPS review is spot on - the ambient creaking of the ships, the claustrophobic feeling of the interiors of the derelicts, constantly struggling against the technology that just keeps breaking down - they’ve captured the feeling of space a la Alien remarkably well. Brutally difficult, but FTL-style fun in a less hectic style of play. Fire it up at night with the lights out and embrace it.

I’ve dumped about 80 hours into it - and although it’s the game everyone loves to hate at the moment, I’ve really enjoyed it. The 70s era sci fi aesthetic is done really well and every third or fourth planet makes my jaw drop in wonder. I now have more screenshots of NMS on my drive than from every other game I’ve played in the last 10 years. Combined.

I like to think of it as a generator for covers to science fiction novels that haven’t been written.

USD$60 is a little steep to play space nomad for most people, but I haven’t been disappointed by the release. The important thing to remember is that it’s ultimately an indie title with AAA marketing and a AAA price tag. Consider picking it up at half price or less unless the idea of exploring the vast emptiness of space solely for the sake of the journey sounds right up your alley. I think Daniel Starkey over at Wired has had the best take on it so far.

4 Likes

Because I’m nothing if not current (and because it went on sale this week), I just picked up Prison Architect, which I think just went to version 1.0.

I may also have another look at The Curious Expedition, which also just went to full release - I’ve had it for ages, but haven’t looked for a while.

Also looking at Overland from time to time, it’s been interesting watching it develop. I need to sit down and spend a bit more time with it. That one just went to an unrestricted release this week (although still in beta). It was really easy when I first looked, now it’s much harder, which is good. And I still love the look and feel of it.

1 Like

For anyone who’s previously bought any version of Titan Quest on Steam, check your account – Titan Quest Anniversary Edition should be in it automatically. Includes the expansion and some bug fixes and balance tweaks.

I loved the game during the interminable period between Diablo 2 and 3. But after being used to the smoothness of D3 it feels a bit clunky to me. The skill progression is definitely slower (but I love the FX of Dream abilities) and there’s less variety of enemies. But still, it’s a good time.

3 Likes

I’m not playing it, but my 14 year old son really got into it… once he’d ordered and installed the video card and RAM upgrade that proved to be needed to play it.

He’s avoiding online guides and not following the storyline so he can have the fun of just exploring around and finding things out for himself.

1 Like

Apparently Tropico 4 is free from Humble Bundle until the end of the week.