General Moderation Topic

That reminds me of another favorite tactic of spammers and such: post a few content-free “hey, nice post!” posts from a brand-new account.

10 Likes

Like we don’t know that game.

11 Likes

I’d be very curious to know the stats of how many people have enabled two factor. :thinking:

It’s the least you can do! Well, other than a super strong random password courtesy of a password manager.

4 Likes

I wonder how many people know that 2FA is available here?

13 Likes

This already happens for any account idle for over a year. You have to verify access to the email address on file.

14 Likes

It seems to me like a simple case of people who made accounts years ago and then almost never used them until they realized they had something “REALLY IMPORTANT YOU GUYS” to tell everyone.

1 Like

Contrary to apparent popular belief, ‘submarine’ accounts which suddenly get resuscitated after months or even years of laying dormant are just as suspect as brand new accounts with contentless comments, perhaps more so.

28 Likes

Accounts made during or right after the gamergate era (2014 or so)? Doubly suspect.

21 Likes

Yep, 2013-2014…

20 Likes

Hey, that includes me! Wohhhohoo! I’m not left out, I’m part of something at last…

6 Likes

General Moderation question:

I was recently noticing that some of my posts have been disappearing lately. Mostly ones that are correcting people on their (incorrect) posts related to COVID/ivermectin.

I just wondered if posts replying to and correcting misinformation are just deleted with the initial post or if there is any way I would know if I was being directly targeted for moderation?

This is not a critique of the moderation just trying to understand and make sure people don’t think I’m a crackpot :wink:

4 Likes

When posts are actioned on here, all the ones in the conversation tend to get pulled too.

7 Likes

When a post is moderated it takes any direct replies along with it. There’s no notification for that, but you would be notified if your posts were specifically targeted.

There’s more detail here:

And here:

12 Likes

Sorry to bust your bubble, but you don’t actually meet the stated criteria.

Looking at your feed, you’ve basically been active throughout your whole time here.

6 Likes

I certainly did not know. Or if I knew that information has evaporated.

I am also not sure where I would rate or how I would assess the need to use it. Traditionally the more financial something is the more likely I am to use 2FA. How do I value the bb experience is an interesting philosophical question.

6 Likes

Although it wouldn’t be a financial burden, loosing my BB account would be a social burden even though it’s semi-anonymous. So, dunno.

At least BBS offers 2FA that isn’t SMS.

8 Likes

If you have legitimate information to share about covid, you can post the correction as its own post without quoting/linking to the wrong post, which is almost certainly going to be pulled by Management for promoting dangerous nonsense. That way your post isn’t eaten as collateral damage.

21 Likes

I think if it’s there then use it because why not? I would find it to be a gross invasion of privacy no matter how seemingly inconsequential the account. It adds some more inconvenience to use but meh…

3 Likes

And the potential for unrecoverable account lock out if the 2FA implementation is strict and there are no recovery options, or if you lose your one time recovery codes if there are.

3 Likes

That’s a good point, always keep those recovery codes safe and backed up!

2 Likes