General Sportsball thread

4 Likes

Philadelphia also has some experience with sports hooliganism, unfortunately.

I mean - we booed Santa 54 years ago. So we have that going against us by people over 70 years old.

On the other hand - we’re the only City to chase the Proud Boys out of town running and crying several times. So we have that going for us right now.

I know which one’s more important.

10 Likes

Well, there was also that super bowl riot only 4 years ago.

The crowds after Eagles and Flyers games were often pretty sketchy back in the 70s when I was there, especially when they lost a contentious game, though it mainly paled beside the non-sports violence created daily by Rizzo’s henchmen.

I didn’t mean my post to disparage Philadelphia, a city I love, only to point out that they should be well-positioned to handle the, let’s say emotions, of international soccer. At least in England, but I think all over, footie violence is back on the rise, and host countries need to be ready for it. I’m kind of worried about what might happen in Qatar this year.

1 Like

To be fair- 1970 is over 50 years ago.

And Chicago, Los Angeles. Vancouver (several times), San Francisco, Detroit (several times), Montreal (several times), Amherst, MA (same day as the Philadelphia one - but with 3x the number of people arrested), Cleveland, and Westbury, Long Island NY also had sports riots in North America since 1960.

But sure, Philly gets the rep. OTOH - we kinda like that.

And unlike Honolulu- we actually have major league sports teams. And Honolulu has zero Gritty’s.

10 Likes

I know some guys here who could be his brother.

3 Likes

There are also apparently bids in from a UK property developer (Nick Candy) and a consortium headed (fronted?) by Martin Broughton and Sebastian Coe.

I think Chelsea fans are in for some disappointment.

1 Like

They probably need some reality reminding them that the good times never last forever. Just ask Man United fans from the 90s how things are going for them now.

Chelsea were in danger of becoming a Notts County (currently in the National League) or Bury (phoenix club currently in the North-West Counties League Division One North) when Ken Bates bought the club for £1 in the 1980s. When he sold the club to Abramovic Chelsea were a fairly successful team, consistently qualifying for Europe. Maybe that is the reality for the future too, but I know some fans won’t be happy with that. They should be grateful that they will still have a team in the Premier League to support.

3 Likes

When you’re a small club you survive by virtue of having a symbiotic relationship with the fans. In a club like Chelsea, the fans serve the club, and the club serves the owner. Long term I think the fans will be happier if and when they are owned by someone who isn’t pumping money into them simply to distract from crimes against humanity, and not have to be in willful denial that their success was bought with blood money.

Now, as for Newcastle

1 Like

Bit of a shocker for Wales

Sport food

https://twitter.com/FootyScran

7 Likes

Yum!

OK, Portland Timbers, the (octopus) ball is in your court

4 Likes

And another trip back to the unfashionable end of professional association football.

I can’t be too disappointed, I thought that if Carlisle came away with a point from the Northampton and Newport games we were doing well, and we got three. They also didn’t give in like they have done so many times this season under the management of Chris Beech and Keith Millen.

So on to the Cumbrian derby, and Barrow’s biggest league game in 58 years.

Yes, Kristian Dennis got booked for that goal celebration.

12 points clear of the bottom two in 17th place now. Paul Simpson has a similar target to me, he thinks Carlisle will be safe with 50 points, I’m a little less optimistic and think 52. Either way it’s either two wins and a draw or three wins, and we look like we can get that before the last day of the season. Barrow are still in the relegation fight with Stevenage and Oldham, but in the best situation to reach safety. Scunthorpe look doomed, they need a Simmo to get themselves to safety now.

Next up is Bristol Rovers next Saturday, for what might be the Manager of the Month decider between the two teams with the best form this month. I would have been sectioned under the mental health act for suggesting that possibility a month ago.

And to make the end of the season just a little more interesting (not good, just interesting)

Fixture congestion is the last thing that Stevenage need right now, they are third bottom and only three points ahead of Oldham with a worse goal difference. Carlisle play Stevenage in the second last game of the season.

3 Likes
1 Like

Sad about Scunthorpe, they were in the Championship just a couple of years ago. (I used to live just across the bridge from the place, it already has enough problems.)

I will have to watch the highlight reel later, but so far two wins, a lose, and a draw this season

:thinking:

1 Like

Obligatory

4 Likes
2 Likes

Footy Adventures was at the Barrow-Carlisle game.

And Fusion Josh, who’s doing the 92 (seeing a game at all 92 EFL and Premier League stadiums). Hopefully this one will still count at the end of the season.

3 Likes