General Sportsball thread

Just hit it

2 Likes

Looks like great fun. The one time I was in Barrow it was November, and miserable.

1 Like

A budding Higuita!

1 Like

I was thinking Pat Jennings (sorry it is a rubbish video)

Begovic had one of those while playing for Stoke not all that long ago. 13 seconds into the match.

1 Like

Or Peter Keen

That was about a year after the Jimmy Glass goal.

4 Likes

Canada is up 2-0 at the half on Jamaica in today’s World Cup qualifying match. If Canada wins or ties they guarantee their spot for the final in Qatar.

GO CANADA GO!

2 Likes

4-0 Canada. We’re going to the World Cup Final for the first time in 36 years and only the 2nd time ever. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Six wins out of seven games. Paul Simpson must have won the manager of the month award now, Joey Barton was the only alternative. Simmo got manager of the week too.

Rochdale at Spotland tomorrow night, then Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park next Saturday. If everything goes right Carlisle could be mathematically safe at full time. Let’s push to finish in the top half of the table.

I suppose I should mention the Cumberland Cup. A few of the U18s team made some stupid comments about Carlisle City being an over 50s team, then get beaten by them before getting suspended by the club.

1 Like

Especially when Hochul can just propose to slash $800 million from New York’s Office of Child and Family Services. Why make sure the most vulnerable citizens of the state are taken care of when there’s a massive facility to build that will get used only 20 or so times a year? A building in which the tenants keep essentially all of the profits and reap all of the benefits when the value of the team increases because of the new facility?

Keep in mind the value of the stadium itself, which the state will own, depreciates with every passing year. And very likely at the end of the 30-year agreement that’s supposedly “ironclad,” the Pegulas or whoever else own the Bills then will once again threaten to move the team and fleece taxpayers.

And the $850 million from the state and county is just for building the new stadium. The state will also pay almost $7 million a year for 15 years in maintenance costs and contribute $6 million a year for the full 30 years to a capital improvement fund.

(headphones warning at the end)

4 Likes

death star GIF by Star Wars

4 Likes

WTF?? How is that allowed?

5 Likes

Technically it isn’t, but we would need FIFA and CAF to take action because of it.

5 Likes

I don’t know. But If I was an Egyptian football authority, I’d call FIFA and challenge the result of this match.

4 Likes

Carlisle United return to earth. Fans are saying that the players look tired, which after the last month is understandable, but we need a few points more from them.

Oldham are out of the relegation places, going above Stevenage. Carlisle are 12 points above with 7 games left. We won’t be safe on Saturday.

3 Likes
2 Likes

After a very poor tournament start, through to the final

Over 90,000 at a women’s champions league (club) match! Also RĂ©al Madrid lost (another good thing).

2 Likes

This year seems to have hit a new high for things like this: thrown bottles, flares, and now lasers. Makes vuvuzelas seem quaint.

Apparently FIFA is investigating. However, it should be said that Senegal was mainly better on the pitch, with 5 times the number of chances going forward and fewer chances against, so it isn’t an entirely unjust outcome. Penalty kicks are a stupid way of deciding important outcomes, though I can’t think of anything better. Maybe the respective coaches should duke it out.

A pity we won’t see Salah at the Cup. At least he’ll have more chances; Sweden’s loss to Poland means Zlatan won’t get what would surely have been his last shot. (I love watching him on the field almost as much as he thinks everyone love watching him on the field.) Ditto for some of the senior players on the Italian team.

So, if I understand rightly, they trash-talked their opponents before the match, then got their ass kicked. Seems like a lesson learned.

2 Likes

4 Likes