General Sportsball thread

I very rarely visit here for a reason - the sports don’t really interest me anymore.

I was nine years old in 1975 when West Ham won the FA cup - I won a fiver off me dad!
So I was a hammers fan for five or six years in my teens.

Today they’re playing the FA cup qualifiers again, against Man U.
In this pic, the Man U player has the red top.

My childhood dreams have been shattered as I clocked that West Ham are now clearly sponsored by Hooters.

2 Likes

Surprised Meme GIF

3 Likes

Grimsby are playing at Carlisle on Saturday. I hope they have a hangover.

Seriously though, well done to them.

5 Likes

The FA Cup Qualifiers are for amateur and semi-professional teams. I don’t think West Ham or Man Utd have been in them in over 100 years, although Man Utd should have been forced to the season after when they decided to not enter in 1999-2000.

6 Likes

You’re quite right, I shouldn’t have used the word “qualifiers”. It’s just a regular FA cup match.
I sat through this game with my dad, more out of nostalgia than any love of the game itself.

2 Likes

On one hand, abusing U14 players is unacceptable. On the other hand SS Nazio fans do worse things all the time.

Dealing with both problems is the way forward.

6 Likes

I can’t find an english language article, but Zwolle have beaten Den Bosch 13-0 in the Dutch Eerste Divisie. This equals the Dutch record win

This is the other 13-0 game

5 Likes

Pleased Encerio GIF

5 Likes

Now that I am seeing the reports in English, I find out that Den Bosch have an injury crisis and had to put a 17 year old kid in goal who under normal circumstances would not be anywhere near the first team. I hope Den Bosch work on rebuilding his confidence.

4 Likes

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

I feel bad for the kid, honestly…

3 Likes

Although the keeper didn’t help, the whole defensive structure could have been replaced with statues, that many unopposed long shots and undefended headers.

1 Like

So in the last few days Carlisle beat Grimsby, Grimsby beat Southampton, and Southampton beat Leicester. By my highly dubious calculations that means that Carlisle should be in the Premier League.

:stuck_out_tongue:

We’re back in second place after Stevenage unexpectedly lost to bottom of the table Rochdale.

6 Likes

Once you’re getting to 13 shots on target, let alone goals scored, the keeper is really the least of your worries.

4 Likes

Not always

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34265500

4 Likes

What do we think of the new MLB pitch clock?

Personally I think it might be a good thing if it can bring games in under 3 hours. I’m not sure about the 2 pick off attempts per runner but it might mean more stolen bases which makes for a little more excitement.

I’ll have to wait until regular season to see how it plays out.

3 Likes

If that doesn’t, making the bases bigger will definitely lead to more swiped bags.

Pitcher Max Scherzer came out pro-pitch clock, but those comments came a day before he had a double play erased by delivering the pitch late.

3 Likes
3 Likes
7 Likes

A lot of cranky, sober sports fans in NYC

3 Likes

Movie Comedy GIF

1 Like