General Sportsball thread

Not sure how I would feel about this if I was a Wrexham fan

2 Likes

4 Likes

Looks like itā€™s just publicity for an exhibition tournament. I canā€™t imagine anyone thinks theyā€™re going to be Ted Lasso here.

4 Likes

edit:
I have no idea who Ted Lasso is.

4 Likes

Football, okay, but an off season 7 a side jolly on holidays abroad? In the old days, of Bill Shankly, that would be an excuse for boozing it up!

Ted Lasso is a tv series about a manager from some US sport (perhaps football) who becomes a manager of an English (Champoinship I think? Canā€™t keep track of what they call the divisions these days, and I donā€™t get English telly so I donā€™t ever see it) football team. Hilarity and japes ensue as the team and everyone tries to explain offside to him. But his heart of gold, genuineness, and a plucky band of outsiders willing to look outside the box leads to heartwarming almost success.

It also has a Roy Keane type character in it and the series is so sunny and feel good that ā€œRoyā€ isnā€™t a total irredeemably shit human being.

ETA
The point about the last bit is that even if you could suspend your belief about a big English team hiring someone with no experience of the sport (the plot involves Giles from Buffy setting up his ex wife for failure - what is it about English heartthrob actors that they age like fine wine into delicious villains?) even if you could suspend that, it asks you to imagine a world where Roy Keane isnā€™t a seeping bellend. Thatā€™s a step too far for me!

5 Likes

To the players maybe, to the fans not (which was Mr Shanklyā€™s point).

1 Like

In the days of Bill Shankley friendlies and exhibition tournaments were a big deal, a chance to prove yourself against teams that you might not play against normally.

Itā€™s very loosely based on Chester Cityā€™s (Wrecsamā€™s historic derby rivals) 1999-2000 season, when they were managed by American football coach Terry Smith. It did not end well for them IRL.

5 Likes

It goes poorly in Ted Lasso too. Richmond gets relegated despite the upbeat tone of the show.

3 Likes

I doubt that Ted Lasso will end with Richmond going bankrupt and the fans having to start a new team in the tenth tier of football.

4 Likes

Maybe if Benioff and Weiss become the showrunnersā€¦

5 Likes
5 Likes

Not gonna lie, but your postings are making me into a Carlisle fan.

6 Likes

Jason Sudeikis Good Luck GIF by Apple TV+

5 Likes
4 Likes

VARception?

3 Likes

No balls in this sport, but lotsa backbone. Iā€™ve been religiously refreshing this tracking page for one of the major races in the sport I do. Hours of watching the dots move.

The race is a 72-hour endurance affair that is about 300 miles. I trained for it last year, but a shoulder injury knocked me out. Ms Pane says Iā€™ve been a (more) miserable butthead ever since.

Some folks are in it to win it, others just to survive. Thereā€™s teams racing to raise awareness for diabetes, breast cancer, and other illnesses. Team ThisAbility from Virginia is one of my favorites, especially because theyā€™re tough, tough racers.

https://www.thisability.org/

Anyway, the tracking is cool (to me). Next year. Next year.

1 Like
3 Likes

Hope over history.

He could easily have the N changed to an M, but he wouldnā€™t be any happier.

1 Like
2 Likes
3 Likes