Watch pro soccer player's terrible acting as he pretends to be knocked down by his opponent

Originally published at: Watch pro soccer player's terrible acting as he pretends to be knocked down by his opponent | Boing Boing

3 Likes
  1. If John Brooks (the defender here who brushes against the play actor) wants you on the ground he can easily put you there. Don’t tempt him.
  2. THIS kind of garbage in the men’s game is largely absent from the women’s game. Come on, dudes. Be better.
23 Likes

Those times I’m really ashamed on being Brazilian.

3 Likes

He must have learned from the best…
BlueLinearBlackbear-size_restricted

17 Likes

These displays really are the most cringe-inducing aspect of football. Makes me wish the refs were allowed to give them a kick to really give them something to cry about.

14 Likes
10 Likes

Everyone hates RB Leipzig for their creative interpretation on the rules around club ownership. Over 50% must be owned by fans, but Leipzig’s “fan-owners” just happen to be employees of Red Bull.

A little bit of simulation is hardly a surprise for them.

Sadly they are restricted to giving them a yellow card, and a free kick (of the ball!) to the other side.

11 Likes

Nice work if you can get it.

6 Likes

“he’s going to need a doctor… or perhaps an exorcist!”

LOL

6 Likes

Maybe the real reason women’s sports don’t get as much TV coverage is because they just can’t bring the drama like the male athletes can.

15 Likes

To be fair, referees share some of the responsibility for players diving when they decide to no-call obvious fouls, especially when it’s in the box.

3 Likes

What is absent from the women’s game is macho men shouldering into people agressively.
While, he didn’t knock the player down or case injury but he did intentionally walk into to him in a very unsporting way in an off the ball incident. This should be a yellow card.

4 Likes

I don’t like simulation, but I’d rather have it rather than the hard tackling of the past.

Under modern rules, Leeds would have won the 1970 FA Cup final by default, as Chelsea would have forfeited the game for only having six players on the pitch.

Two yellow cards, one for each of them

9 Likes

André Silva is Portuguese.

3 Likes

Hard disagree. The attacker was making zero play on the ball and was purposefully standing in Brooks’ way. A defender’s role is to let the attacker know he or she isn’t going to be bullied. Mission accomplished.

And if anyone should have gotten a card in this scenario it’s the attacker for simulation.

4 Likes

I hesitate to speculate … but if the women’s game commanded as much money as the men’s and the women were paid as much and the outcomes mattered as much, we might expect to see this spread.

But no - in all likelihood, not. Some male football players are utter pricks these days. It IS because the stakes are so high, but also because some of them are thick as pigshit and forget that everything is on camera from multiple angles. FIFA needs to allow post-game sanctions for such egregious cheating - i.e. the ref gets asked to look at it on video after the game and can then issue a yellow or red card.

2 Likes

“A defender’s role is to let the attacker know he or she isn’t going to be bullied.”

No, it is to prevent the attacker from scoring. One player is standing still, the other makes unnecessary off the ball contact. One of those things is against the rules and other isn’t. Potentially both could be shown a card, one for the shoulder, the other for the dive.

2 Likes

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 8.35.50 AM

5 Likes

I was happy when college basketball added a flop rule. Flops will now get you a warning and a second flop gets you a technical foul. My bias might be showing, but I believe it is called the “Duke Rule”.

4 Likes

It’s better than the bad old days

6 Likes