Watch this college basketball player's Oscar-worthy fake flop after he's "fouled"

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/27/watch-this-college-basketball.html

This flop is so fake it almost makes Republican outrage look legitimate… almost.

11 Likes

I think we just found tRump’s newest cabinet member: Secretary of Keepin’ It Real.

10 Likes

1/10 did not commit. should have laid there twitching

6 Likes

So, I don’t know much at all about the sportballs, but shouldn’t something like this be a career-ending move? Or is expecting people to act like honest adults unreasonable?

5 Likes

He’s being wasted playing basketball. I anticipate a glorious career for him in FIFA.

21 Likes

Oddly enough, there is no penalty for faking injury or over-dramatically falling down. If there were, soccer (football, if you prefer) would be a very different game. The closest thing I know of to a penalty is in NCAA football (American college/university football or gridiron, if you prefer) : when play is stopped for a player who is injured or slow to get up, they must sit out the next play. Not sure if the NFL has the same rule, but I expect they do.

4 Likes

I don’t like to wish harm on anyone, but I would have chuckled if he had injured his knee while performing the flop.

3 Likes

At this point? Yeah, probably.

9 Likes

If basketball doesn’t pan out for him, he has a marketable talent in the international soccer/football scene.

7 Likes

For me all the phony drama on fouls adds to the fun of the game. It’s a performative art on the court.

I take the view that sports are entertainment and find it refreshing that fake aggression on the court is now a thing.

Maybe that’s why it’s so popular in soccer?

1 Like

Is it just me, or for the split second before he does his flop, his face contorts with rage?

edit: on repeated rewatching, that’s more like a lot of eyebrow lift.

Oh, it’s on. Futball better step up it’s game.

I would pay (some) money for some kind of a fake-sports-injury-and-or-foul improv-night-type competition. See who fakes the most dramatic injury.

4 Likes

…or “Pro Wrestling.”

6 Likes

No, it’s not even close to career ending. It makes him look bad, a little, to those who care, but flops happen all the time.

These giant guys are so easy to knock over.

1 Like
4 Likes

It made ESPN SportsCenter’s Not Top Ten

2 Likes

Nah, they usually make it look believable.

3 Likes

So, not Weebles, you’re saying.

2 Likes