Watch this college basketball player's Oscar-worthy fake flop after he's "fouled"

The NBA has rules about flopping and the fines can get steep if you make a career of it.

The NHL (ice hockey) calls it diving, and it’s also a penalty and can incur fines.

6 Likes

Or he could try stuntman. Then you don’t have to worry too much about it looking realistic.

I think my favorite part is how pretty much everyone on the court has an “oh for crying out loud” reaction before he even hits the floor.

6 Likes

I don’t watch those sports, thanks for the information.

1 Like

I’m not a hockey fan, so I’m really confused how anyone would even want to dive in a sport where fighting is all part of the game.

There are indeed fines and penalties for flopping/diving in the NBA and NHL. They are pretty small and ineffective, though.

3 Likes

It’s called simulation in association football and can get you a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.

3 Likes

He could always run for president.

1 Like

I think that calls our for a golf clap. I could picture giving the bench players number cards to hold up with scores, like the judges of gymnastics or figure skating.

3 Likes

Make it part of the All-Star game, like the Slam Dunk competition.

2 Likes

Soccer/Football does as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_(association_football)#Punishment

3 Likes

It’s nice to see that I was so clearly wrong, but no one made me feel bad about it or called me stupid. Thanks, fellow happy mutants.

6 Likes

Whenever I bring this up to fans of football, which I am not, I’m treated as if I just don’t understand the complexities of the game. “Well of course they’re going to try and game the ref, the amount they’re paid, it’d be criminal not to,” or something equally excusatory.

1 Like

Or at least Press Secretary.

1 Like

This is a good demonstration of the mind games that are part of all sports these days. And by “mind games” I mean telekinesis.

1 Like

He’ll do just fine in Italy.

3 Likes

The English Premiere League has been cracking down on diving this year; I’ve seen more yellow cards given out for diving over the last few months then I can recall from years of watching. Ironically, some of the best teams (Chelsea, Man City) seem to have the most (or most egregious) divers.

Soccer players are generally more subtle about it than this basketball player.

I thought this guy’s name was “Sonny Liston”.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.