General Sportsball thread

I’ve seen many of these, but not all of them…

I’d say that a big one missing is the 1968 Olympics Black power salute… I’m really not sure how they missed that one!

8 Likes

It is now mathematically impossible for Carlisle United to be relegated (instead of highly improbable). We can finally focus on promotion.

5 Likes

Definitely more stolen base attempts… and higher ERAs. Pitchers won’t be excited about that. I’d think the best thing MLB can do right now is to directly address the horrible umpiring behind the plate.

1 Like

Robot umpires are on the way!

1 Like

Yep, some (?) use in the minors, I think. Can’t come fast enough to the majors.

Then there’s this from collegiate play. The game -ending strike call was pure retribution.

3 Likes

Just wow.

I just watched a Div 1 NCAA basketball game that was made up of dozens of those kind of calls. It wasn’t subtle. Two teams who are very good, who should have been pretty evenly matched. Instead, one team played out of their head good, while the other stunk by their own standard. In the 2nd half, the refs propped up the stinky team so much, it was embarrassing. It wasn’t subtle.

I’m not sure if they were paid to keep it close or if the league told them at halftime to keep it close, but it was pretty obvious. Some of the calls were every bit as obvious as that called 3rd strike that was a full strikezone outside and low.

1 Like

I wonder if Little League also does that for that very reason (to prop the worse team). I do know that in LL lower (younger) divisions, the umps intentionally call strikes that are off the plate. They do that to encourage the batters to swing and thereby practice their swings. Otherwise, there would be a lot of kids not learning how to swing and ending up on base anyway.

1 Like

I could see it if they were close. But encouraging kids to swing at pitches that far out of the strike zone is going to get them hurt. That was a foot outside and 8 inches low. Batter would be extended across the plate falling down to put a swing anywhere near that.

1 Like

True. Most of the LL off-plate strikes I’ve seen were obviously too high… like eye height. And yes, there have occasionally been some really stinky calls. Personally, with umps being all too human, I can’t see them being so disciplined and skilled that they only call the close ones strikes. They’re gonna foul up. And I have to wonder if enough (if any) real thought and study has been put into their lower division teaching tactic. (Note that the tactic has on occasion snuck into the higher divisions… or do the umps just suck?)

1 Like

This turned out to be quite the match!

1 Like

I am not sure if it is a good idea. I mean, I loved the fun, all the people from abroad hanging around here, the games… But there were a lot of cases of corruption involving infrastructure works.

2 Likes

Follow up: the Southland Conference suspended that ump indefinitely.

“The home plate umpire’s conduct and actions were deemed detrimental to the conference and in violation of [rules].”

4 Likes

@1:10
Oops! Thats one of the problems of playing one sport at a stadium made for a different one.

4 Likes

That doesn’t seem fair. We have the advantage of a bird’s eye view. If you’re standing on the pitch, how can you tell which line is slightly more painted than the other?

2 Likes
3 Likes

It was 3rd vs 2nd on Saturday.

I guess they can’t all be classics. Only one shot on target in the whole game, and one goal ruled offside. Either this means that both Stevenage and Carlisle deserve to go up, or neither of us do. Back to the playoff places for now.

Carlisle are away at Bradford City (6th) on Tuesday, away at Gillingham (20th) on Saturday, then away at Leyton Orient (1st) on April 1st. We also play against Northampton (3rd), Stockport (5th) and Salford (7th) in April. There’s also the Cumbrian derby at Barrow too.

3 Likes

Wow, that offside call was tight but correct. If there hadn’t been contact on that header, it would have been onside. For a 0-0 draw, that looked like a fun game!

2 Likes

Soccer Wow GIF by Atlanta United

2 Likes

Ugh. Almada is amazing. That free kick!

That said, Ted Unkel needs to retire. He’s just a horrible ref. So inconsistent from one minute to another. And, I hate to say it, but from what I’ve seen, no way that Timbers goal gets called off if positions were reversed. This keep happening, from hand balls to PK calls, they keep getting screwed over by PRO. No way Guzan was getting to that ball.

2 Likes
4 Likes