General Sportsball thread

2 Likes
2 Likes

BBC News - UK & Ireland sole bidder for Euro 2028 after Turkey withdraws to focus on Euro 2032

1 Like

Previously

3 Likes
4 Likes

Just came here to post about Biles. I remember as a kid being dragged by parents or relations to watch the telly because one of the great Russian or Romanians were doing their thing and they wanted me to have seen the greatest ever, even if I didnā€™t understand it.

I did the same many years ago to my children when they were too young to really get it and before they did gymnastics (as I did after I saw those greats. Iā€™m totally the wrong size and shape for menā€™s gymnastics though!) I said to them look here, she is the greatest Iā€™ve ever seen, and Iā€™ve seen the very best. Look at the power, precision, and grace. She is the most aggressive gymnast on the floor Iā€™ve ever seen. I look at her and believe she is pushing the world away.

In a sport where many people do frankly unimaginable things, she is another class altogether. We are so privileged to get to see such an extraordinary athlete and person.

4 Likes

I mean, holy shit, look at this womanā€¦ just fucking incredible.

Gold Medal Olympics GIF by Team USA

5 Likes

Carlisle win, hopefully this marks the turning point in our season. We were expecting a tough game.

4407 Carlisle fans in the away end! Thatā€™s more than were at the last home game (total attendance 4345, including Swindon fans) before Paul Simpson took over.

Talking of before Paul Simpson was in charge.

I hope Gillingham survive him. Millenā€™s a good coach, but a hopeless manager.

Cheltenham have scored a goal! It only took them 12 games.

5 Likes

Abso-bloody-lutely

The sheer nerve to try the most incredible acts, I must admit a weakness for the vault, it just grabs me with the risk.

2 Likes

Wigan got ELEVEN yellow cards! Twelve if you include the one their manager got. The FA will be looking at this, and the referee better have a good reason because this looks dodgy.

3 Likes

11 cards off 18 fouls. Thatā€™s bonkers

1 Like

The joys of a fan-owned team, even if it is down in the 4th tierā€¦ :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

This is a bit funny. You know the way that a lot of us from outside the US really donā€™t get American hand egg and how big it is? Well here are the largest stadiums in the world. And loads of them are for college football not even the ā€œproā€ game!

I guess one of the big downsides of that was I just looked up a US college in relation to another thread and of the 13 items on my first search result page 4 were not to do with sportsballsā€¦.

I mean I canā€™t imagine our admissions and marketing team being happy with 13th spot!

Mental.

4 Likes

If University of Michigan could conjure a way to add more seats to the Big House, they would. It only sat 104k when I moved here in the 90ā€™s. Really, the only way they could is by buying my sonā€™s high school, which sits kittycorner from the Big House, tearing it down and building there. But that would take away the main tailgating area and Fox Sports/ESPN wouldnā€™t have anywhere to put their mobile sportsball stage/studio.

4 Likes

Yep, we do get mental over hand egg, itā€™s true.

3 Likes

How many people watched the Under 21s games in the former Pizza Cup this year?

Morecambe v Liverpool U21 - 1,607
Harrogate Town v Nottingham Forest U21 - 1,178
Wigan v Leicester City U21 - 2,073
Stockport v Manchester Utd U21 - 5,000 (OK, that was always going to be a higher attendance with it effectively being a derby)
Grimsby v Manchester City U21 - 1,101
Burton Albion V Everton U21 - 473!

It goes on like this, but most games struggle to get over 1000 fans in the ground and these are the big under 21 teams. No-one cares unless it is a derby or itā€™s the later rounds when there might be a chance to get to Wembley.

Carlisle play against Nottingham Forest U21 tomorrow. I donā€™t expect a huge crowd.

1 Like

On the other hand attendances for womenā€™s games in many sports are going up (again). Junior GAA can get a fair crowd in Ireland. Underage rugby too.
Soccer doesnā€™t (because everybody supports big English teams).

3 Likes

Portland gets 21,000-ish fans at womenā€™s pro soccer games. Iā€™d rather go to a Thorns game than a Timbers game.

3 Likes

Yeah. Womenā€™s international game gets decent crowds now. Part of it is simply that sports bodies and mediaā€™s access to funding depends on promoting womenā€™s sports.

I know, itā€™s not trendy, but stuff like minimum representation quotas (in sport, in politics) tied to funding, really work.

4 Likes

If you donā€™t askā€¦